Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pklopfen

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 17, 2012
So I have been planning to upgrade to a new MacBook for awhile and was hoping Monday would help make the decision easy for me. But alas it did not and so now I'm looking into buying a mid-2012 15" MacBook Pro and installing a 256GB SSD in the optical bay, a 1TB harddrive, and 16GB of RAM. My question is...

Will al those specs taken into account, how much difference will I see by getting the three different processor speeds? I work in film/TV/photography with Lightroom, Photoshop, Illustrator, Final Cut, etc. but generally only dabble in post work and mostly work on set. Therefore a retina seems like slight overkill and much harder/more expensive to upgrade internal components. I am also considering all these upgrades with an eye to resell when a Haswell rMBP is finally released.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Yahooligan

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2011
Illinois
So I have been planning to upgrade to a new MacBook for awhile and was hoping Monday would help make the decision easy for me. But alas it did not and so now I'm looking into buying a mid-2012 15" MacBook Pro and installing a 256GB SSD in the optical bay, a 1TB harddrive, and 16GB of RAM. My question is...

Will al those specs taken into account, how much difference will I see by getting the three different processor speeds? I work in film/TV/photography with Lightroom, Photoshop, Illustrator, Final Cut, etc. but generally only dabble in post work and mostly work on set. Therefore a retina seems like slight overkill and much harder/more expensive to upgrade internal components. I am also considering all these upgrades with an eye to resell when a Haswell rMBP is finally released.

Based on Geekbench scores...

2.7GHz - 12150
2.6GHz - 11770 - 3.1% slower than 2.7GHz
2.3GHz - 10813 - 8.1% slower than 2.6GHz, 11% slower than 2.7GHz

If you don't think you'd notice those differences then go with the slower one.

I wanted the antiglare display and didn't want to order it, so I was "stuck" getting the 2.7GHz and 1TB HDD. ;) I've since upgraded it to 16GB and installed a 512GB SSD in the main drive bay, the 1TB in the optibay.

Would I be able to notice the difference in everyday use? Doubt it, but I also dabble in FCPX, among other things, so it's nice to have the faster CPU. Plus, I figure if I'm going to get what I want then I'm not going to settle for a slower model, but that's just me.

Also, I'm hoping the 2.7GHz model will be easier to sell if that day ever comes, though, as is the case with most of my computers, I usually hand them down to family members when I upgrade to something newer/better.

sofianito

macrumors 65816
Jan 14, 2011
Spain
Apple is being unfair regrading CPU upgrade prices: One can upgrade the retina model from 2.4ghz to 2.7ghz for just 100$, while it costs $200 to upgrade the classic model from 2.3Ghz to 2.6Ghz...

It is clear that apple sales policy is to push customers to buy the retina model probably because they want to retire the cMBP and/or they need to sell out the current rMBP stock before fall when the haswell is released...

cirus

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2011

You won't notice any difference.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.