2.3GHz verses 2.6/2.7GHz...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by John Fridinger, Jul 29, 2012.

1. John Fridinger macrumors newbie

I'm close to ordering the new classic MB Pro and eying the 2.3GHz version... Before doing so though I would like to get a good sense of what might be an everyday use sort of gain for 2.6 GHz or 2.7 GHz, along with turbo boost..? Average use (?) like Photoshop and editing of photos, MS Office, rather than seemingly heavy workloads like pro video editing and similar major uses, for instance..?

I asked this at the end of what may be a thread that has mostly run its course and got two very appreciated answers, but figure I'll put it out here in the open, in case there might be some more response..?

Thanks,

John.

2. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

You wont notice much difference in the CPU speed, but the other models have twice as much ram and also twice as much video ram, which is handy if you're planing on playing any 3d games.

3. terraphantm macrumors 68040

The difference won't be noticeable. I've heard that the 3615QM (2.3) doesn't have some virtualization features that the 3720QM (2.6) and 3820QM (2.7) do. But I haven't verified that.

4. Slivortal macrumors 6502

Do you have a source for this? I'd seriously consider this if it was the case.

But disregarding this questionable feature, the 2.7/6/3 difference is minimal enough to be unnoticeable.

5. terraphantm macrumors 68040

well over here on Intel's 3615 page, "vPro" is marked as "no", while the 3820 is marked "yes" -- I'm not really sure what all vPro entails.

Interestingly enough, that field is missing altogether for the 3720, but various reviews seem to indicate that the 3720 and 3820 are feature identical

6. br3nt macrumors member

EDIT: just hit me that I started thinking we were talking about the retina... however I think same CPUs are used

intel vPro: http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/architecture-and-technology/vpro/vpro-technology-general.html

As for ONLY the cpu clock speed
    - no, you wont notice it, we're talking ms -> seconds during encodes and raw input (ie. importing photos).
    However, the 2.7 have an 8 MB cache while the other have 6. that makes a difference in applications that can make use of it.

2.3 GHz (i7-3615QM)
    2.6 GHz (i7-3720QM)
    'Intel Core i7 Ivy Bridge with 6 MB on-chip L3 cache

Optional 2.7 GHz (i7-3820QM) with 8 MB on-chip L3 cache

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MacBook_Pro#Technical_specifications_3

Regarding virtualization, it exists:
    http://ark.intel.com/products/64900/Intel-Core-i7-3615QM-Processor-(6M-Cache-up-to-3_30-GHz)

... and for the rest, do it yourselves :p