2.4 13" MB to 2.53 13" MBP; some observations.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mcdj, Jun 28, 2009.

1. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

1. The screen, as described, is much nicer. Viewing angles are far wider. Blacks are deeper. This does come at the cost of somewhat cartoonish oversaturation.

2. My unit has an almost imperceptible constant vibration. Ostensibly it's the same exact 250gb drive as the uMB. Not sure why. The uMB was dead calm.

3. The difference between 2.4ghz and 2.53 is greater than I'd imagined. Photoshop opens blazingly fast now.

4. The finish on the case feels a tad rushed. The edges are sharper and a bit rough visually.

5. The machine runs noticeably cooler than the 2.4. Not sure how or why.

6. It sips, not chugs, battery juice. I got maybe 3 hours from the 2.4. Getting 4+ now.

7. Somehow, I gained nearly 60gb of free HD space after using Migration Assistant, but I can't find a single missing file. Any idea how that works?

8. The keyboard is smoother, the touch feels less clacky, and the keys aren't as sharp.

So far, very happy.

2. Ferris23 macrumors 68020

#3 seems a little bit of a stretch, 153mhz isn't going to all of the sudden make Photoshop open blazingly fast. I went from a 2.4 to a 2.26 and didn't notice any difference with Photoshop. But yes, the battery life is insane.

3. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

#3 - did you have the same amount of RAM? Don't know why it would be perceptively faster....

4. mcdj thread starter macrumors 604

mcdj

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A341 Safari/528.16)

Yup. 4gb in both.

5. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Well it's not just 153mhz difference, you're missing a few contributing factors. Besides the CPU speed the new MBP has faster ram and much faster system bus. Please spare me about DDR3 not making much difference, the point is it's a contributing factor to speed differences.

6. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

Was the 2.4 the whitebook, or the unibody macbook?

7. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Oh yes, I neglected to ask this, I'm assuming he was comparing the plastic Macbook to the new Pro. I'll have to remove my previous post if he was comparing 2 unibodies.

8. Kingcodez macrumors 6502

Kingcodez

What is your average operating temp? Like with just web browsing?
    I'm on a 2.4 Blackbook and I'm at 55+.. Much better than the 80-100C temps my HP DV4 was giving me.

9. c.dub macrumors member

I actually sold my 2.4gHz MacBook for the 2.53gHz MacBook Pro too.

I find the keyboard seems a bit better. The F keys are aligned better, my MB's were slightly slanted (apparently a known issue).

The screen is WAY nicer. I calibrated mine with SuperCal and it blows me away whenever I turn it on! Blacks are deeper, more contrast, no color bleeding, better viewing angles.

Speed wise it's a bit faster, but not a lot. Startup seems quicker. When I turn it on I hear the "buzz" from the optical drive, then the "gong" noise immediately after, then it's at the login screen in 10 seconds. On my MacBook, the gap between the "buzz" and the "gong" was about 3 seconds.

The battery is WAY better. My MacBook got a good 4 hours, but this one is getting 6 hours for sure. I just got the MB Pro so I drained the battery completely first, which took me 2 days lol!

I don't notice any vibrations, even though I have a 7200rpm HDD. Also, the edges/finish seems flawless.

Best Mac I have ever owned, period.

10. mcdj thread starter macrumors 604

mcdj

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A341 Safari/528.16)

I was comparing the Oct 08 Unibody...