2.4/2.53/2.8? Im ordering tomorrow and need help!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by w...b, Oct 30, 2008.

  1. w...b macrumors regular

    Jul 14, 2008
    I know there are threads that have these specifications. I searched but couldnt find anything related and i went back about 8 pages to see if they had any recent posts. If I missed something then im sorry.

    So, for other specifications:
    4gb Ram
    250 HDD @7.2k
    *I will be buying an external HD as well. Might look into Time Capsule.

    From Adobe I'm looking to use Photoshop/Illustrator/Dreamweaver/Acrobat prof/InDesign. Nothing professional. Im only creating some personal websites and ebooks/magazines.

    I will be running windows (Vista) since i need it for some programs at school.

    Slight gaming use, only for WoW if i decide to get back into it and Diablo3 when it comes out.

    I do a lot of eTrading/ForEX.

    I will be using some type of program to create short videos/movies for my Website(s).

    As of right now i have no idea which CPU to go with. I understand that its also a difference between 256mb and 512mb vRam. I also want the computer to last for a good 3-4 years which would allow me to use future software.

    Im using my ADC discount so the price differences are (all include Tax):

    $2123.27 (CAD) for 2.4ghz 4gb Ram 250 HDD@7.2k (256 vRAM)
    $2394.47 (CAD) for 2.53ghz 4gb Ram 250 HDD@7.2k (512 vRAM)
    $2665.67 (CAD) for 2.8ghz 4gb Ram 250 HDD@7.2K (512 vRAM)

    Right now i could possibly afford $2600 but its a stretch. If its the best choice in the long run then i guess i would have to take it. Im currently running a 12 inch PowerBook G4 1.5ghz 512mb Ram 80gb HDD. On a side, one do you think about Time Capsule as an External HD?

    Sorry for the long post. I hope you can all help.

  2. jwksmith macrumors member

    Apr 27, 2008
    I would be sure to get Apple Care. That would insure that you dont get hit with a big repair bill if there are problems.

    You may also consider a 5200 disk. It is user replaceable and BIG 7200 disks will be cheaper ($100) a year or two from now.

    From what you seem to be using it for, the 2.4 ghz cpu shud be ok but it is the only thing you can't user upgrade. You might want to go for the 2.8 but you probably wont notice much difference.
  3. w...b thread starter macrumors regular

    Jul 14, 2008
    thanks for the quick reply. so 2.4ghz would be sufficient for running CS4?
  4. iwanttogarden macrumors member

    Oct 30, 2008
    The 2.4Ghz is uses slightly less power and probably is easier to cool compared to the others. Unless the 2.53ghz is the 3mb cache version.. which I don't think it is.

    I was deciding between the 2.4 or 2.53 also. On the one hand you're spending so much money what is 200$~ or so more? But on the other hand, 256mb more video memory and 130mhz~ more and 3MB more cpu cache, do I really need it? 200$~ or so could buy you a so many other things :p

    If you got the money go for the 2.53 or 2.8, up to you. I don't really play games, but since you do or want to, it'll probably be a better choice for you. That's probably the only thing that will really see benefit from getting the faster processor and more video memory as of right now. Down the line it'll probably be a bit zippier than a 2.4, but not incredibly.

    You have to realize 2+ year down the line, it will still run fine, but it won't be as fast as things out by then. So shelling out extra money for things you don't really need... there's no point, that's just delaying the inevitable.
  5. w...b thread starter macrumors regular

    Jul 14, 2008
    that's true. so right now the 2.53ghz is looking really good to me. i now the cpu isnt that much but the 3mb extra cache should be worth it.
  6. skye12 macrumors 65816


    Nov 11, 2006
    Austin, Tx
    Agree in your situation the 2.53 would be a good choice.
  7. jpcho83 macrumors newbie

    Oct 20, 2008
    I originally purchased a 2.53 GHz in-store, but it had a fleck of aluminum shaving stuck in the black bezel area, so I returned it and ordered a 2.8 online... waited and waited, and... verdict is pretty much the same...

    lol but I can sleep better at night knowing that I went with the fastest processor... lol...

    I know, its not even worth it ... but I'm just like that...

    Yeah, so I agree, 2.53 is the way to go... 2.4 with the 3mb cache is a mistake IMHO
  8. PAUL BRIAN macrumors member

    Feb 27, 2008
    i'm surviving just fine with my 2.4 3mb cache. my new MBP has done everything i threw at it and more... cache is overrated imo
  9. jpcho83 macrumors newbie

    Oct 20, 2008
    It's $-50.00 to go with a 7200 RPM 250GB over the 5400 320. He doesn't seem to mind getting an external for added storage... time capsule for instance...

    Since cost reduction is of some importance, I would go with the 7200... lol I did because I just can't see myself using that much space on my HD anytime soon (at least as far as being in dire need of the 70 gigs of space on my main disk)
  10. w...b thread starter macrumors regular

    Jul 14, 2008
    thanks for all the replies. i would still like more if you want to post. im leaning towards the 2.53 now. i cant see using the 2.4.
  11. HI-madhatter macrumors newbie

    Jul 24, 2008
    I have the 2.4ghz and have absolutely no problem with CS4. I only use Photoshop, Illustrator and Dreamweaver. I have Fireworks but I have yet to use it. Bridge works fine as it comes with the bundle.

    For the slight performance gain, $500 can pay for the AppleCare or an iphone.

    Since you're going to be playing games, the upgrade may be more worthwhile for you.
  12. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

    Feb 4, 2008
    We run CS2 on PowerMac G5 computers here. I run CS3 on a 2.16Ghz, so you'll be fine on a 2.4 with CS4. You could probably easliy run CS4 on anything Apple sells today, even a Mini or Air. The requirements list a minimum G5, so you should be good.

    I personally have had no problems with anything in CS3 (Photoshop, InDesign, Dreamweaver, Illustrator, Flash). My video card has 128MB of RAM, so anything you buy will be awesome. I'd save the cash and go with the cheaper model.
  13. nope7308 macrumors 65816


    Oct 6, 2008
    Ontario, Canada
    2.53 all the way... remember that Snow Leopard is just around the corner, and that extra vRAM may make a difference for future apps (the 128bit debate is still raging on).

    More importantly, make sure you buy the stock 2.53 configuration with the 5200rpm drive. I made the mistaken of ordering a BTO (320G 7200rpm) and the drive is defective. I'm not totally pissed about the HD (hey, it happens) but because the machine is BTO, I can't do a straight exchange. Now I have to take it in for repair (reseller), wait for parts, yada yada yada - one week wait.

    Installing the HD is a piece of cake. You can pick one up (7200rpm) for cheap and sell the one that comes stock.

    So, to conclude, 2.53 all the way. I struggled with decision myself (strikingly similar situation) and I'm happy with my decision.
  14. MowingDevil macrumors 68000


    Jul 30, 2008
    Vancouver, BC & Sydney, NSW
    I went w/ the 2.53 but from reviews I've been hearing the larger video memory and cache doesn't seem to make any difference at all. 2.4 is probably fine and can definitely handle everything you will need it for. The 2.8 isn't worth it unless you have extra cash burning a hole in your pocket.

    I also went BTO but in hindsight I'd just get a stock model & upgrade it myself. Don't get me started on what I've been through on this BTO (not necessarily Apple's fault mind you).
  15. nitewolfgtr macrumors regular


    Jul 20, 2008
    The 2.8 isn't worth the extra money.
    The 2.53 isn't worth the money for extra 130mhz and 35w cpu power consumption compared to 2.4 25w power consumption. Also the extra 256 video ram isnt worth it since the 9600m is a 128 bit graphic card which means it won't see a significant performance benefit beyond 256mb of ram.

    I would personally go with 2.4 and spend the rest on more ram, faster hdd and such.

    I went with 2.4 and not regretting one bit :D
  16. TheHoff macrumors 6502

    Oct 22, 2008
    Ditto. Especially if, as said in the first post, money is tight. The only reasons I'd get anything above the base processor line is if you're doing video editing or you're into games, framerates, and on large external monitors. The 2.4 will handle anything you can give it from the CS4 suite and with more battery life.

    I would let Apple put it to 4G RAM since they give you cash back for the old chips and it is a decent price but then change the HD to 7200 yourself. Then you can get the machine immediately in store and use the original drive as an external backup.
  17. richard13 macrumors 6502a

    Aug 1, 2008
    Mill Creek, WA
    This is debatable depending on how "significant" is defined. There is a difference in performance (see links below). A 128-bit bus is more than adequate and will efficiently utilize 512MB of VRAM as long as other factors like clock and memory management are good. A 256-bit bus comes more into play on desktop versions of video cards.

    I do agree that the 2.4GHz version is probably good enough and I'm considering it myself. However, in the past I've always gone with the best processor I could afford (since it's not reasonably upgradable) and the 2.53Ghz version would fit the bill for me as well.


  18. PAUL BRIAN macrumors member

    Feb 27, 2008
    the 2.4 also runs on a cooler chip. those 3 megs of cache and T series chips come with a price (heat + battery life)

    i don't know about you but i intend my notebook to be as mobile friendly as possible :)
  19. sams007 macrumors newbie

    Oct 25, 2008
    I have the same dilemma as the OP. I prefer my notebook to run less hotter and power efficient. And I do not play any games.

    So should I settle for the 2.4 GHZ MBP or the 2.4 GHZ MB? $400+ price difference with 4 GB RAM upgrade. Only thing is option of 7200 rpm drives on MBP. But I do prefer a cooler, power efficient and portable notebook.
  20. 7even macrumors 6502a

    Jan 11, 2008
    Only depends if you want a 15" screen or not. I like the real estate, and the screens are generally better in the MBP. If anything, the MBP should run cooler because there's more surface area to dissipate about the same amount of heat :p

    As for the OP, it sounds like the 2.4 ghz model will be enough. Get 4 gigs of RAM and Applecare with the money you save.
  21. sams007 macrumors newbie

    Oct 25, 2008
    Thanks. yeah I was thinking the same. Better screen. Any suggestions on the HD options? Been reading some complaints on the 7200 rpm drives. I do like faster HD, question is 250 or 320? And yeah I am definitely getting Apple care :)
    I don't buy any of my laptops without extended warranty (most of my older ones were Thinkpads). I am excited to switch to OS X. Bye Bye Windoze. LOL
  22. rickolis macrumors member


    Oct 28, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    I didn't purchase applecare this time due to 2 main reasons:

    1- The American Express card that I used to purchase it extends the warranty 1 year past the manufacturer's normal warranty, meaning if something goes wrong, AMEX pays to fix it and/or refunds the price of the computer if broken.

    2- I've never had any problems with Apple laptops (or computers in general). I take pretty good care of my electronics. Knocking on wood!

    PS- I ended up getting the 2.53GHz model and the 250gb 7200 hdd.
  23. sams007 macrumors newbie

    Oct 25, 2008
    That is wishful thinking. I have always had Thinkpads, which are the best built notebooks. Things fail on those. I had my LCD and fan fail on it after 2 yrs and glad I had extended warranty. It got fixed next day for $0. There are so many components that could fail on a laptop which I typically use for 2.5 -3 yrs so I am not willing to risk that chance. And they always fail at a very inopportune time to go out and spend more $$.
  24. sams007 macrumors newbie

    Oct 25, 2008
    OK I went ahead and got a 2.4 GHz MBP with 4 GB & 250 GB 7200 rpm HD & Apple care.:D Excited about my first ever Mac I bought.(have used them but never really owned one)
    Says 3-5 bus.days for shipping

Share This Page