2.4 C2D vs. 2.8 C2D Extreme??

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by torrid30, Aug 8, 2007.

1. torrid30 macrumors member

I was deciding between this option as I'm planning on ordering a new iMac in the very near future.

I do want to save as much money as possible, so the Core 2 Duo seems to be the obvious choice. My only concern is will there be a noticable different once Leopard is released?

I'm sure it won't be as extreme as XP -> Vista was, where users needed to do massive overhauls to their systems. But I don't want to go with the Core 2 Duo, and then have my computer start to bog down when Leopard is released.

What I'd be doing on my iMac will be: Schoolwork, Web browsing, playing WoW (which I want to run as smooth as possible), and eventually I plan on utilizing iLife, especially recording music and possibly eventually editing video. Nothing extensive, but I've never had the opportunity to edit video or record music before (as this will be my first Mac) but I want the system to run well for a long time.

Thanks

Torrid

2. levitynyc macrumors 65816

I play WoW just fine with max setting on the 2.4GZ. Everything else you need it for should run flawlessly. 2.4 might even be overkill, but its the least you can get on the 24".

3. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

That's really more RAM than anything else which with the new iMacs is easy. Buy with 1GB, add a 2nd for about $50 third party. Or go with 2 more for $115. The older 2.16, and 2.33 iMacs as well as the 2.0 and even 1.83 iMacs will run 10.5 just fine, as will a G5 PowerMac or iMac.

4. torrid30 thread starter macrumors member

Thank you both for the quick and thorough responses.

Now let's just hope they fix the WoW Driver Bug for the new iMacs.
    (I'm sure it will be fixed by the time I get my machine.)

Torrid

5. Tumeg101 macrumors 6502a

Tumeg101

It is actually, 2.4 C2D vs, 2.8 C2E, but ok! lol

As far as I know, Mac is better than PC, so the release of leopard wont be like vista, where only special software will work and all that crap...
    Go to apple.com, click on Mac, click on OS X, and watch the videos of Leopard, and you decide if there will be a noticeable difference, I am personally waiting for leopard, but that's just me.

6. torrid30 thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, I've watched the videos from months ago and such, but I can't tell from them if there will be a noticable difference. I'm in the same boat as you with
    but that's all I have to go off of. I would wait for Leopard if I could, but with me heading back down to school on the 15th and school resuming on the 22nd, I'm in a little bit of a time crunch to be all prepared for the upcoming year. I need to install the programs I need, transfer everything from my previous PC computer, etc. etc. etc.

And I'm not too worried with the whole "buy new iMac, then buy new Leopard" Because I can get Leopard through AMP through my school for $65.00 PLUS any other updates (that have a price tag) Apple releases until the middle of 08, or I can buy Leopard for $65.00 once it is released. Either way a good deal for me.

And I apologize for mixing up my terminology :D

7. wichard macrumors newbie

I have the same question, with either the 2.4 or 2.8. I just finished school and doing alot of graphic design freelance. I know I am going to max out the ram as soon as I can. Will the 2.4 do me for 3-4 years or will I start to feel it after a couple of years. I have the money for a 2.8 right now so it is just getting the best computer for what I am doing. Thanks!

8. Multimedia macrumors 603

Multimedia

Add 2.8GHz From The 1GB Model 24" For Sure

At $250 extra for a $650 processor - the current retail price, I think the 2.8 GHz model is well worth the extra money. If you are doing a lot of graphic design, you might want to consider a 2.66GHz Quad Mac Pro instead. But if your heart is set on only 2 cores in the new iMac I recommend you buy the lower 24" with only one 1GB stick, ADD the 2.8GHz processor then buy two 2GB sticks of ram from OWC for only $230. That will save you money because the top model comes with more ram you won't want to keep in there. OWC will also give you $25 for your 1GB stick trade in.

9. wichard macrumors newbie

My heart is not set on 2 or 4 cores. I was going towards the iMac mostly of the price and I thought it would be a good start for getting into the graphic design world. I am almost all doing web design what does not need crazy abouts of power and speed to handle those graphics. I am using a 4 year old powerbook so I feel like anything would be a good upgrade. I would love a MacPro and I have been saving for one but with the price drop and what I have been doing lately I feel it would be the best right now for me.

10. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Leopard isn't going to run slow on any recent machine. Actually, it seems to be a little faster than Tiger for some things. This isn't Microsoft we're talking about.

11. Multimedia macrumors 603

Multimedia

17% Faster @ 2.8GHz For Only 14% More Dollars $2050

Fine. But 800MHz of additional power - 2 x 400MHz in each core - for only $250 more on an $1800 Mac is well worth the $250 difference in price for maximum performance and top resale dollar value. That's 4.8 GHz vs. 5.6 GHz of combined power - almost a full GHz faster. It's 17% faster for only 14% more dollars.

12. wichard macrumors newbie

thank you so much for the information, I think that is what I am going to do. stopping my the apple store tonight to check them out. Can't wait!