2.4 core i5 15" MBP graphics card switch flicker

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by spcedog, Jun 8, 2010.

1. spcedog macrumors newbie

Hello, I posted this in another thread that was dying so I thought I'd start my own.

This is my (second) first post, and I tried using mrooogle to find the issue (i've been a lurker for the most part) I can't seem to find any consensus or info on it.

I have the 2.4 core i5 15" MBP with HR Glossy display, just got it on Monday, installed an owc ssd, and 8 gb of ram and i LOVE IT. The only issue is when the graphics card switches from the nVidia back to the Intel graphics, the screen briefly blanks out or "blinks" for a split second and the Intel graphics comes back on. It doesn't blink when it goes from intel to nvidia, only from nvidia back to intel.

Does anyone else get this screen blink when it switches? Is this normal behavior? I don't mind the blink so much, but if it's a defect or sign of things to come, I'd like to get it taken care of.

Thank you!
    -Nicky

2. rmbrown09 macrumors 6502a

rmbrown09

hmmmm

**Opens cloud app** (enables 330m for some reason)

**Closes cloud app**

Nope no flickering.

3. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

Mine does it too; I'm fairly sure it's normal.

4. WMuntean macrumors regular

My first MBP had this flickering - about twice a day. I exchanged it, although for other reasons, and I haven't seen a flicker since.

Just my experience. But thats doesn't seem like a major problem. In fact, that was the least of my worries.

5. spcedog thread starter macrumors newbie

so, so far, that's 2 with no flicker...one with a flicker that doesn't think it's a problem. I don't know if this is a problem. Someone on the apple support forums said when he switched his hd back in, removing his ssd, it removed the flicker. i think i need to see more consensus.

6. banalelectric macrumors member

For the record, I have seen this happen twice in two weeks on my 17" while graphics switching. I'm not terribly worried about it.

The switching seems to work well about 90% of the time, but there are occasions when it stays in nVidia mode for no good reason after quitting a graphics-intensive app. I'm expecting the entire graphics switching process to be fine-tuned in the next OSX update, so hopefully the flicker will go away as well.

7. spcedog thread starter macrumors newbie

on the apple support forums thread, someone reports after re-installing 10.6.3 off the disk to their ssd, the problem has stopped.

going to try to reinstall tonight and report my results.

8. Cinab1mt macrumors regular

yes, please let me know what happens. In the exact same boat here. Also, Will I have to boot from time capsule if I reinstall the OS software? My first mac, so I apologize if this seems to be a very "simple" question

9. spcedog thread starter macrumors newbie

I reinstalled to the ssd and now everything is working perfectly! No flicker at all. So far I've installed the flash gala preview, office 2008, istat, and everything seems to be working fine!

We'll see once I get to parallels and windows 7.

Also, Cinab1mt, if I were you, I'd do a fresh install, and then use migration assistant to import your documents, etc...though you could try just doing the straight up time machine install and see what happens...

10. djasterix macrumors 6502a

djasterix