2.4 ghz C2D vs 2.4 ghz i5

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Piehead, May 13, 2010.

1. Piehead macrumors newbie

Hi all,

I know that there are many questions like this one, but I would just like some peoples opinion. Obviously I am switching from PC to Mac, (I have a 15 inch Dell Precision M60, yikes..) anyways I have decided on going for the 13 inch model (PRO)

Will the 2.4 ghz model handle all of my needs (light video editing, light gaming, gargeband, web browsing, word processing) I think it should do just fine, but I would like a second opinion. Some of you will suggest the lowest model of the 15 inch, but I cannot afford that and I really do like the compactness ( <-- is that a word? :p) of the 13 inch

Regards,
    Piehead :rolleyes:

2. kyleh613 macrumors regular

The i5 pretty much smokes the C2D, but for what you listed that you'll be using it for, and the fact that you want the 13", I would just go ahead and get the 13" model. It's reasonable enough for your needs.

3. djasterix macrumors 6502a

djasterix

For those needs you would be fine with the 13" 2.4

4. UgoDream macrumors newbie

Well the 13inch will be just fine for the tasks you listed, anyways you cannot afford the base 15inch so you don't really have a choice, do you?

5. Piehead thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah well I just wanted to know if the 13 inch was good enough. I really don't feel like waiting to spend 2000 + on a laptop right now. I just hope this mbp will last me a couple years. (maybe 2 -3ish) ;)

6. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

the i5 clock for clock is not that much of an improvement - just the normal increases that you would expect. hardly anything impressive.

in saying that, the i5 will have a longer life in terms of supportability etc., so i think you should go for the i5.

7. koruki macrumors 65816

koruki

I believe is there also a matter of turbo boost in the i5/i7's?

8. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

correcto. which are taken into consideration for benchmarks etc

9. 7thMac macrumors 6502

The MBP 13 will definitely work well. You can use your savings to buy the MBP 13 and an Ipad.

10. danistyping macrumors regular

For your needs the 13" will certainly last you 2-3 years, likely longer. Besides, between now and then, if you end up needing more power, you can sell your 13" on ebay for a good amount of money (macs hold their value very well). Then just pay the difference for whatever the better machine is at the time, which shouldn't be too much, especially if you get the computer during the back to school sale and sell the free ipod.

Once you pay the high price for a mac, you'll never pay it again as long as you keep the computer in great condition and keep the original box for when you resell it. It really is a beautiful thing.

11. iamrawr macrumors 6502

iamrawr

the 13" inch is fine. light gaming shouldn't be a hassle either.

but more productivity lies in the i5 cores.

12. b4uloveme macrumors newbie

b4uloveme

Apple just make a joke to us,no mater how apple explain this,
    this is no reason that they put a out of date c2d in a new macbook pro,
    let's not buy this out of date stuff and push apple to update it as soon as possible.

13. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

There is plenty of reason, and it's been hashed to death repeatedly in multiple threads. There's no need to go hijacking this one to dig up the dead horse and start beating it again.

If you don't want to buy the 13" MBP, then don't. For the OP's needs, particularly since he said he's strapped for cash, it should do just fine and do everything he needs it do do.

14. johnnymg macrumors 65816

johnnymg

In the real world you would hardly be able to tell the difference between those two machines.

However, you'll see a MUCH bigger difference by adding a SSD to whatever you get.

good luck with whatever you get.
    JohnG

15. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

ding ding ding!!

hmm lets see.. ~10% increase from CPU upgrade, or a 500% increase from SSD upgrade :rolleyes:

16. HBOC macrumors 68020

i have a 2.5GHZ Peryn MBP with 4GB RAM and can run Aperture 3, PS CS4, my 100GB iTunes going (all music) and run BBEdit and Canons' DPP open all at the same time and have no slowdown.

17. Piehead thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks alot for the advice guys. I think I will purchase a SSD a couple months after I get my MBP. I cannot wait! :D I've watched so many reviews and unboxings videos on Youtube, haha, now I'll get to do my own!!
    :rolleyes:

Thanks again,
    Piehead