2.4 ghz Macbook Pro 13.3" worth $1100?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kd7cb, Dec 6, 2010.

1. kd7cb, Dec 6, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2010

kd7cb macrumors newbie

hey i am buying the 2.4ghz 13.3" macbook pro for $1100 cndn and i am wondering if it's worth the money

here are the tech specs: http://www.apple.com/ca/macbookpro/specs-13inch.html

i do a tiny bit of video editing and i am planning to buy some older games on Steam (Team Fortress 2, Counter-Strike), along with the usual facebook + youtube visiting and some school work.

Is it worth the money?

P.S. I realize that the 13" pro is $1249.99 + tax in canada (which equals around $1400) and it is $1199 + tax in the states so keep that in mind :)

2. Stvwndr219 macrumors 6502

Is it worth the money as compared to what? You will get plenty of people here that say it is worth it to them because of this or that reason but what makes you want this instead of the other macbook pros?

3. kd7cb thread starter macrumors newbie

i am wondering should i save up a bit longer for the 15" or go ahead with the 13" since all i do is browse the web, writing documents, a bit of video editing and some gaming

4. RedburnIV macrumors regular

RedburnIV

Well, can you live with a smaller screen? Some would argue about power but I think you should be fine.

5. tblrsa, Dec 7, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2010

tblrsa macrumors regular

Will it be your first Mac?

In my opinion it´s the ideal mobile computer to dive into the OSX World. Steam does work on OSX now, so you are able to play titles like Portal/Team Fortress 2/Halflife 2 and others on this machine without much hassle or the need to boot up Windows. I just played Portal and Half Life 2, both are working without any problems on OSX on the MBP 13,3 2,4 GhZ.

6. shyam09 macrumors 68000

shyam09

well i personally wanted the 13" and then my dad(whos paying for it) said the 15" is better for the screen size. the thing with the 15" is that the bigger the screen the bigger the space the larger the weight. so it will be a pound heavier, but with the 15" you get a better processor, and decent graphics, but all in all, as i have not yet bought it, the 51" should be marvelous. but it depends on what you plan on doing..
    so for movie making, software planned ot use.
    for gaming- heavy or light?

7. kd7cb thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah it is my first mac and i am only in high school so a better processor or screen doesnt matter that much (since i am paying lol)
    I dont plan to do too much gaming just casual gaming.

8. TheNewDude macrumors 6502a

The two MAIN reasons I like the 13" MBP are...

1. Battery life = 10 hours
    2. Portability = 13.3" screen is lighter and easier to travel with

The processing power isn't going to make much of a difference to you. You aren't planning on using it for anything too heavy.

9. AppleMacFinder macrumors 6502a

AppleMacFinder

You'd better save up for 15". By the time you'll do it, a new MBP Sandy Bridge (without OD) will be available.

10. aimbdd macrumors 6502a

TF2 ? go 15" the processor doesn't matter, but when you get into the middle of a battle with stuff flying everywhere... you'll be glad you did. My 2008 couldnt play at all except on medium settings, and that was at a lower resolution.