2.4 GHz Macbook Pro Pricing

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by habubauza, Mar 8, 2009.

1. habubauza macrumors regular

habubauza

You know, I have noticed something quite interesting. After looking at many resellers across the country, including eBay, Amazon, Macmall and the like, a new entry level Macbook Pro seems unable to support a price of $2000. In fact the going price for an entry level current generation 2.4 GHz Macbook Pro seems to be around $1800, and I've already seen many go for less than that. This is approximately $200 less than Apples suggested pricing. I have followed Macbook prices for a few years now, and although you can get a decent discount on a new Macbook Pro if you look hard enough, I don't recall seeing the average price point of a new sealed in the box Macbook Pro hovering around $1,800. This is about a 10% lower price point than Apple suggests. What do you suspect the reason is?

Although my observation is anything but scientific, it does suggest to me that with the current economic environment, combined with the opinion that Apple is stripping some functionality out of their computers is resulting in their inability to support current suggested pricing and this phenomenon may trickle down to other products.

If my theory is true, this could spell trouble for Apple down the line. I am already starting to see some kinks in their armor.

By the way I'm leaning toward the purchase of a 15" entry level glassbook pro. :D

2. lordthistle macrumors 6502

May be in the U.S. and A.

Here in Italy, the base MBP is always 1800 euro (incl VAT) in real shops. You can find something cheaper on eBay, but it's not that easy and quite often it is very strange considering that huge electronics chains do not even offer 1 euro off from the full price.

- thistle

3. ajohnson253 macrumors 68000

ajohnson253

I got mine for 1,800 no tax. on military base so there was no Tax.
    also 10% off the original price because I used a star card and with first purchase using the card. The 15" unibody macbook pro is the first purchase on the card. So i got the 10% off

4. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Here in GTA (Mississauga/Toronto) area, prices are pretty close to retail price. Base model MacBook Pro goes for about 24xx and some change. Used with very little or no usage (just an open box) I found can cost around $2100-$2300 and if you're lucky, 2000 or lower but that's a rarity.

5. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

I sure hope you're taking tax into consideration, because the base MBP on Apple's site and in the stores in the GTA are $2149 CAD. Even futureshop and best buy have that price, so I don't know where you are getting 2400 from.