2.4 GHz MBP w/ SSD, or 2.53 GHz MBP?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by indeedo, Aug 22, 2009.

1. indeedo macrumors newbie

Hey guys! First post here.

I'm looking into buying a MB, making the jump from desktop PC to macbook! I'm in a bit of a predicament, though. I am stuck between two models:

a refurbished 2.4 GHz MB with 2GB DDR3 memory and a 128GB SSD for about $1580.00 CAD, total.

OR

the top-end current gen of MBP, with the student pricing. roughly $1870.00 CAD total, including the free iPod touch (which I do not have!)

So, my question is, which one would you recommend getting? Is the 2GB difference in RAM that big, considering the SSD drive? Also, would I be able to notice any difference in the CPU power? Other than that, the specs seem very similar (i.e., same GPU, etc.)

Oh, I almost forgot: would i be kicking myself for getting a refurb. 'older' MB model, or is there really that much of a difference between the newer models and the 'older' ones, such as battery life?

Thanks for any help!

EDIT: Title says 2.4 GHz MBP, which is wrong, it's a MB.

2. macboy4 macrumors regular

In my mind there are two major difference between these two models that cannot be upgraded.

1. The displays in the Pros are MUCH better
    2. You can only put 4GB of RAM in the MB, but 8GB in the MBP.

3. macjunk(ie) macrumors 6502a

hmm..if I were you..i did always prefer to buy a first hand machine rather than buying a refurbished one..I know that the SSD option makes it sound sweet...but dude...the refurbished one is previous gen one...so u already buyin an outdated machine for 1600CAD...given that the prices have gone down..plus the sweet built in battery..plus the new design...i would bet on buying the new one...

just my 2 cents...peace,..

4. indeedo thread starter macrumors newbie

That's true. I was thinking i'd get more of a lasting effect with ordering the new one.