2.4 i5 versus the old 2.6

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by JHF, Apr 14, 2010.

1. JHF macrumors newbie

I was going to buy the old 15" 2.6 but fortunately I waited. The prices of the new ones did disappoint me though. Comparing the old and new prices would mean that I have to decide if I buy the 2.4 i5 or not.

I had a post on here before about the old 2.6 if it would perform ok using it for photoshop as I'm a photographer and I want to do my editing with it. Now I would like to know how the new 2.4 i5 performs comparing it with the old 2.6. If its the same of even better then my decision will be easy. Can anyone help me out here?

2. jmdMac macrumors regular

3. Quash macrumors regular

The 2.4 i5 will easily be faster then a core2duo 2.66 because of the increased memory bandwidth, Hyperthreading, and the turbo boost to 2.93ghz. Hell it will be easily faster the a 2.8 core 2 duo

You should be able to find your answer on notebookcheck.net

4. Beric macrumors 68020

Beric

Ignore the clock speed myth. Arrandale murders C2D clock-for-clock, even on the dual cores with hyperthreading.

5. JoeG4 macrumors 68030

JoeG4

I should dig up quotes from the threads discussing how the PC competitors were slower than the mighty core 2 duo that Apple was still using for a reason ;)