2.4 K Raw?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by enny001, Nov 1, 2013.

1. enny001 macrumors member

Hi guys i am in the process of purchasing 5d mark 3 or black magic camera 2.4k one still debating ND SEARCHING . My question is can my mac handle 2.4 raw editing I use FCP7 AF and Premiere for editing and a bit of resolve for CC for now my mac can handle 1080p with no prob but i was thinking what about 2.4k raw. My spec are

2009 mac pro

12gb ram

quad core 2.66 xeon

GTX 550TI and Radeon 5770 all PC crads

One gree HD for main OSX and one 1 TB black HD for video

I was thinking to spend about 3k on new cam but if i go with Black magic instead of 5d mark 3 i can save some money and invest in to comp hardware to handle 2.5 k or is it my wishful thinking what would you recommend?

Thanks guys for help

2. acearchie macrumors 68040

acearchie

3. Johnsyounger macrumors member

Yes

Should work. Make sure your hds are min 7200rpm. I've done similar on similar machines. Now will it be laggy and will you get the spinning wheel some. Probably. But it will work...

4. nateo200, Nov 3, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2013

nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

Should work fine...I've pushed around colors and what not with 2.4K RAW from the BMCC in a 4K timeline on my rMBP fine....I also could work on it with my 2010 MacBook Pro with allot of lag. Worse comes to worse and you'll just have to Proxy edit (which is pretty normal but not my cup of tea). I prefer playing with RAW outside of FCP or whatever NLE is in use and setting each shot to what I want it to look like then render out ProRes 4444 / ProRes 422 files to use as the online edit and master copy. ProRes 4444 supports 12-bit 4:4:4 with alpha so thats what'd I'd use for any RAW format. ProRes 422 for 4:2:2 sources. I find ProRes 4444 to be an amazing codec and if you really don't need ALL of the capabilities of RAW it really streamlines the edit with near all or all of the original image data (minus metadata and undebayered pattern).

EDIT: Just saw that you only have one quad core, thought I saw two...If your serious about upgrading your Mac Pro then look into a new GPU (or two...) as Premiere we'll be able to take advantage of that. Something like dual GTX 680's will make your Mac Pro fly through DaVinci Resolve since it can handle up to and over 4 graphics cards which is needed in heavy CC'ing, I believe the Mac Pro only has one x16 PCIe slot and two 4x PCIe slots but regardless you can still probably fit the in...check the Mac Pro section, there are allot of new threads on GPU upgrades. For CPU you could maybe look at getting dual quad core Xeon's as an upgrade or even a 6-core 3.33GHz Xeon. Not sure on CPU prices but again a suggestion. I wouldn't let your computer specs dictate how good of a camera you get, its not like you HAVE to edit RAW online with no proxy's or you have to even edit with RAW at all...the BMCC can spit out ProRes files that are still VERY nice. Think of ProRes from the BMCC as uncompressed 10-bit 4:2:2 but not as big (and compressed but not very visibily at all).

5. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

Disk bandwidth is also going to become a really big deal when you edit raw video. On the BMCC at 2.5K raw, you're looking at around 5MB per frame, or about 120MB/sec of sustained disk bandwidth at 24 fps to avoid dropped frames. Also note that this only considers one stream of video on a timeline. Just about any good SSD can do this with no problems, but mechanical disks will struggle do so without striped RAID.