2.4 Mbp Horrible Dont Wate Your Money

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by uNext, Dec 8, 2007.

1. uNext macrumors 6502

So today i decide i want to dive back into macworld.
    I am currently using a thinkpad t61 but lately been doing a lot of
    graphic design and when i ordered the thinkpad i opted for a dedicated x3100 video chipset.

So i take a drive down to my local apple store choose th 15" 2.4 model.

To make it short when I got home I noticed they were 2 tapes ,one slit across and one on top to cover the other one. So my first impression is "ITS USED"

I am pissed at the fact that I just paid retail and I got a used computer. So I call the store speak with the manager and he explains to me in a rude way by the way that all macbook pros had to be opened to INSTALL leopard.
    I did not buy the story so I called lincoln road apple store. And, I asked the same question the lady on the phone tells me theres no way that would happen because the latest shipments have leopard installed from factory.

She puts me on hold comes back and tells me that it appears that all macbook pros where opened for leopard I SAID OK blah blah hung up the phone opened the computer and what do i get TIGER INSTALLED.
    I said FINE giving apple the benefit of the doubt AGAIN.I commence to install leopard
    and low and behold i get a YELLOW TINT accross the screen i am upset at this point. I ONCE AGAIN give apple the benefit of the doubt and install leopard thinking maybe the video dirvers need to be installed (i know that was not the case been working with computers for over 12 years just being hopeful)

The computer finishes the installation and I finally get to see leopards intro screen but wait a minute is BLURRY...
    I get to the registration screen where you input all the info and the font is unreadable distorted, out of focus type of problem.

I SAID ONCE AGAIN MAYBE WHEN I GET TO THE DESKTOP IT WILL FIX ITSELF (now keep in mind my ocd is already on active mode at this point i think the computer was used, returned and re-wrapped so im not happy but im willing to fight my ocd and move on) I get to the desktop finally and it still looks like crap
    I move the lcd screen back and POOF it is clear the font is sharp just like other awesome apple screens im happy but it did not last long within 10 seconds the screen goes into a purple tint then fixes itself then goes back to a yellow tint fixes itself and then the tint is gone but the font and the screen is distorted again. I gave apple the benefit of the doubt more then 1 time in a span of 1hr and as much as i hate to say this. APPLE 2007 SUCKS

I knew 10 years ago that once apple gained marketshare the quality level will drop and i was right.

Take this as a warning because it sounds like their pushing the fish thats about to turn. Theres an agenda gooing on at apple right now and is not in favor of us the consumers. Might be updates forthcoming and their pushing all the stock they have or apple products just are made up of cheap components and are no longer the quality we use to get.

Going back to the store tomorrow to get my money back i know they will try everything in their power to charge me the re-stocking fee but i will not go down without a fight. Just really dissapointed is like apple is wasting so much time on otehr stuff that leave their main busines on the sideburner.

By the way to get in the apple store i had to wait 15 minutes because accroding to them they are "trying to improve customer shopping" they should concentrate more on ironing out perks on a 2500 dollar laptop.

2. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

funny, mine's perfect, just like 98% of all mbp owners

definitely wasn't a waste of money.

3. StealthRider macrumors 65816

StealthRider

The slit = inserted Leopard Up-To-Date disc.

The yellow tint = RMA-able. Send it back.

4. aquajet macrumors 68020

5. masse macrumors 6502a

masse

I could read one of these every day...but I know a bunch of people with apple laptops and none of them have had any problems...and there is not much stopping me from buying a macbook pro in the future. I just hope the issues are ironed out by then..

just in case...

6. onthat macrumors regular

onthat

My 2.2 is perfect as well, they shouldn't serve you a re-stocking fee before the 14-day period is up. Mine came direct from the Apple online store with Tiger installed and Leopard as a drop in...so I think that's normal. Good luck with everything though, sorry to hear you got a dud. Don't give up on Macworld yet!

Might be a possibility that one of the workers grabbed from the returns, I used to work at a Radioshack and I remember a few situations in which someone brought a returned unit out to a customer...never realizing that the seals were damaged. It can be very crowded in the back of small stores. This is however no excuse.

7. dordal macrumors member

I have to agree with you on Apple quality.... it's really gone downhill. I still have many problems with my 2.2GHz MBP.... some hardware, some software (Apple software).

8. thechidz macrumors 68000

thechidz

very interesting. Mine has the exact same problem. Im sending it back monday. Ordered a CTO 2.6ghz MBP btw...

9. overanalyzer macrumors 6502a

FYI, like StealthRider said, the slit in the box was to insert the Leopard upgrade disc. It just means that particular laptop has been in the store since before the Leopard release and is normal. Any laptops shipping now do indeed have Leopard factory-installed, but some stores do have stock left from 6+ weeks ago, which have the upgrade disc inserted by the store.

It seems like a few times a week someone posts on MR about a lemon Mac they just bought and how they can't believe the issues and are returning it and giving up. I never understand that. Have you really never bought any electronic device or any product for that matter that was defective? It sucks, it ruins the excitement, but it's not the end of the world...if you take it back to the store, I'm sure they'll happily hand you a new one. I'm sure if they have one in stock, they'll even give you one with Leopard factory-installed if you ask.

It's up to you what you want to do, but just because you had a 100% failure rate in your one experience with an Apple laptop doesn't mean 100% of them have problems.

10. antibact1 macrumors 6502

I think it would be difficult to claim that Apple quality has gone downhill - it's a simple percentages problem. If 10% of users have problems, it's easy to see that having more users now is going to mean more users with problems in terms of real numbers. It is also far more likely that people are going to report problems with their machines than lack of problems. You see a ton of posts claiming problems but few claiming great machines.

11. Jiddick ExRex macrumors 65816

Jiddick ExRex

Did you actually try to calibrate the screen? I know that the yellowing problem is a display problem but it might just remove 90% of the tint by making a proper calibration.

And also you seem like one of those customers I wouldn't want for the life of me.
    If you had received a good screen, no tape on the box, you would probably have been pissed by some aluminium impurity taking up 0.1" on the bottom of the casing, forcing you to really start up the ALL CAPS text yet again.

12. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

He has a valid complaint. He's not handling the situation well at all, but to say that he can just calibrate the screen isn't a fix. Getting Apple to replace the LCD is a fix.

As a long time Mac user and member here, I've heard a lot of people complain about the "Apple quality" dropping as they get more popular. In my opinion, it's probably true. The important thing is that there are less faults (in terms of percentage of machines sold) than with other manufacturers, and when there is a mistake, Apple generally handles the situation well. ;) According to a recent ranking, Lenovo and Apple were ranked #1 and #2 in terms of the percentage of faulty machines produced.

Also, any large company that manufactures hundreds of thousands of these machines per year is going to have a problem, especially when they're growing so quickly. They'll sort this out once they're used to being the centre of the computing universe.

13. ktbubster macrumors 6502a

ktbubster

While your complaints are valid, don't come on here to spout that the macbook pro 2.4 is a waste of money because your first computer happened to be a lemon... and it's great you gave apple the benefit of the doubt, but why not just open the box in the store and check it out? Why not stop after the initial obviousness of the screen being bad and go back and return it? You didn't have to spend an hour to see that the screen was bad.

I know your complaints are valid, but spouting that all mbps are bad because of your bad experience is just plain bothersome.

Why don't you take it back and get a replacement, which they will happily give you after your problems. You can even open it in the store and make sure you get one that is all you wished for. Maybe even with leopard preinstalled, although, I think having one with tiger as the original operating system may be nice, so you could go back to it if you so wish, or stick with it for a while if you wanted to (some people like doing that).

And walla, everyone wins. Apple's quality may have dropped a bit lately, but like someone said in another forum, they are using new tech in the LED screens that a lot of places aren't using, yes they shoulda fixed the problem, but the ones that people do get that are good (which seems tobe quite a bit ... and more and more everyday, as they are weeding out th ebad screens now) are wonderful. My 2.2 is amazing. (and it was a refurb... totally suggest the refurbs to save some money and get a machine that was checked over multiple times already)

Don't give up after one bad trip to the store, and if you do, don't come on here complaining and spouting about how crappy apple has become and how all mbps are a waste of money.

and yes, the box was clearly open because they put the drop in disc in, you probably should have figured that out once you saw that there was a drop in disc in the box. :p

14. dannewell15 macrumors regular

I understand that people have problems with their Macs but I don't like thread titles like this because it makes people who don't know any better think about using windows again (which noone should have to suffer :D)

Anyway, if I were you I would send it back. I have had my Macbook for close to a year now and I love it. You were probably just unlucky. Be Happy. :)

15. overanalyzer macrumors 6502a

I wouldn't worry too much that a thread title like "2.4 Mbp Horrible Dont Wate Your Money", with its clear attention to precision and well-argued logic is going to blindly sway too many forums readers....

16. Cybergypsy macrumors 68040

Cybergypsy

Well I have to agree, I loved my MBP 2.4, but having it for a month the screen was just not for me......I went back to a macbook and i am happy for the moment.....
    the MBP could be better built........

17. heatmiser macrumors 68020

If the Apple Store is as supportive as the majority of Mac owners in this thread, he's going to have a hell of a time getting his money back (or a working laptop).

18. koobcamuk macrumors 68040

koobcamuk

Well, it' just a bad batch - like the iPhone screens.

I would just keep taking it back until I got a new one, casually mentioning that everytime this happens I think more about switching back (lie) and that you used to recommend Apple to everyone. You'll get one that's working soon, and maybe even compensation of some kind.

19. Redline13 macrumors 6502

That is amazing.

20. zippster macrumors regular

zippster

*cough* troll

at the end of the day how many people here have made the switch and regretted it?? i know i havent, for work i have ibm lenovo T61(same as OP), an IBM x61 tablet(hopefully soon to be reaplaced with apples next mobile launch) and home i have a 24" imac 2.4 and a 15" 2.4 MBP.

now i have had niggles with all of my machines and yes even my windows based ones !(shock horror surely not i hear you gasp) but to be fair the issues i had my both of my macs were resoled with a 15minute drive back to the apple store for replacements.

my imac 24" had condensation out of the box!
    my ibm t61 was DOA, then suffered with memory errors and the catch broke on the screen
    my MBP would ramdomly crash after installing leopard (suspected faulty logic board)
    my ibm x61 has been swapped twice now for faulty catch,6 dead pixels and im thinking of getting it swapped again as the screen is unbelievably loose.

so.. what im trying to say is that various people will have different experinces with both PC and MAC equipment but in my humble opinion my mac experience has been a breath of fresh air compared to the 20+ years i have put into my windows experiences..

but... to be honest i have my windows experience to thank for my lovely highly paid career as a M$ consultant :):):):)

I love the way windows is so crap...it keeps me able to buy all things shiney and MAC.

my 2p's worth..

Andy..
    {mac convert for 6 months now}

21. zippster macrumors regular

zippster

one thing i have just noticed with my previous post..... wheres the spell checker again?:D

nothings perfect!

22. iMan G5 macrumors member

Just to let you know.... You got a Lemon. Take her back and get a good one.
    Also your 1 out of 50 people that had the problem I bet and now your all like OMG IT SUCKS DON'T WASTE UR CASH! Apple does need to get the quality up but there isn't any need of saying it sucks because many other people have good macbook pro's and you just have a bad one.

23. Inconsequential macrumors 68000

Same here.

Best mac I've ever owned (equal to my 5 year old PowerMac G4 867 :D)

Get a grip. Get a replacement. Test it in store.

Stop having a hissy fit because you got a bad one. It happens.

24. Hmac macrumors 68020

I ordered my 2.4 MBP from B&H Photo. It was advertised as having Leopard, but when it arrived, it was Tiger and there was no slit in the box. Called B&H, they said "oops" and overnighted Leopard to me. While I was waiting, I installed from the Leopard disk I'd used on my Mac Pro.

My mail-order MBP works great, no issues.

25. Techguy172 macrumors 68000

That sucks but just go and get a replacement or don't. You don't have to rant about it here and say don't waste your money when probably 95% of them are fine.