2.4 Penryn MBP Ticking/Clicking Noise

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by txcdcky, Mar 2, 2008.

1. txcdcky macrumors newbie

Alright, I've tried looking this up, but my new MBP has this awfully irritating tick a lot of times. It is most prominent when playing games (WoW, Command & Conquer 3), as it just clicks until I exit the program. It also makes click noises when loading web sights, or scrolling down pages. I called an apple rep, and he told me that this is not normal and I should take it in to my local Apple Store. I did just that.

The first representative listened to the noise, and informed me that it wasn't normal, and called the manager. The manager told me that it is normal on anything graphics intensive, and was just the fan, but took it back to have a technician check it nonetheless. He returned 20 minutes later and let me know that my MBP was just fine.

Is this true, how can any MBP gamers stand this annoying tick? If anything, it's made me regret my purchase more than anything else. Even hearing it while browsing the internet is too much for me. :( I'm still debating whether or not to keep my machine, or return it within the 14 day limit.

Edit: Playing DVD's also causes my MBP to make this noise.

2. aforty macrumors 65816

aforty

That's not normal. Bring it back to the store and demand an exchange/refund. Yes it probably is the fan but it should not be happening.

3. txcdcky thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, guess I'm going back to the store sometime later this week then. Thanks for letting me know, I'll let you all know the results once I'm back.

4. Lyshen macrumors 6502

Where is the ticking/clicking noise eminating from? The rear mid section, rear left or rear right?

On my first 2 Penryn MBP there was a constant buzzing/fast clicking sound coming from the rear right side fan. I had the MBP exchanged twice, on my 3rd one now and looks like all issues are gone.

5. txcdcky thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, it is coming from the rear right side fan.

6. Lyshen macrumors 6502

Ok another question...

When you leave the MBP off for a little while, so the entire system has cooled off. Upon turning it on, does the rear right side fan make the noise while the system is booting up?

I ask, since mine did even from a cold boot... definetly not normal in my opinion.

7. txcdcky thread starter macrumors newbie

No, it does not start immediately upon being booted up, only when gaming, scrolling through web pages, and playing DVD's.

8. Lyshen macrumors 6502

Does the sound/noise get louder or stays constant throughout whatever you are doing?

Starting to think it may not be the fan. If it is the fan, the noise will get louder as the fan spins faster. Although from what you said, seems to be from the fan area.

9. txcdcky thread starter macrumors newbie

When I initially start World of Warcraft, it begins at the login screen, and gets much louder when I am playing the game then maintains that constant noise throughout playtime. It can be heard several feet away over the volume of the background sounds and music, so it's not as if it's subtle.

10. Lyshen macrumors 6502

Well then it probably is the fan since the fans start off on low rpm and ramp up from there, especially the longer you use/play games/apps that are intensive.

Regardless, take it back to the Apple store and get it exchanged. I don't think mine was quite as bad as yours, but bad still because you could hear the noise as soon as the unit was turned on.

Also, if you plan to play WoW on it for extended periods, it may be a good idea to get some form of laptop cooler that has fans on the bottom... it'll help keep the bottom casing cooler since MBP uses the case itself as a heatsink.

11. txcdcky thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, had my MBP exchanged for an identical model at the apple store and there's no more ticking. What a relief, and the final verdict from the apple representatives - 3 at the genius bar considered it normal, 3 did not.

I'm so glad to finally have a quiet laptop! :D

12. Lyshen macrumors 6502

Guess what?

My 3rd Penryn MBP makes that ticking sound when playing games... and only playing games, or rather using something GPU intensive. :mad:

13. txcdcky thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, the thing with mine that I began to listen for was the ticking while scrolling down web pages. I listened to several of the MBP's on display, and two others made that similar sound. I wonder if it could be a very common defect?

14. Lyshen macrumors 6502

You know, after playing with it some. The ticking isn't so bad, but what is annoying is that I noticed, the left speaker or the speaker area makes a hissing sound when the AC outlet is plugged in. And when I play a game or do something that draws more power from the AC, the hissing sound gets louder. Interestingly enough as soon as I pull the AC and it runs on battery the sound disappears, whether playing a game or having it idle in desktop.

I am quite sure this is definetly not normal, since none of the previous ones ever did this. Apple store not going to be happy about another exchange... but this sure is a defect.

Oh and forgot to mention, muting the speakers, the hissing sound still comes out, so its just the speaker area, my guess the power area.

15. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

If any ticking noise is coming from the left side of your MBP its liable to be the sound of the heads docking on your HD this is normal as a MBP is a portable computer with a portable drive in it. They do this to minimize damage to the drive.

16. Lyshen macrumors 6502

Heh, so I called Apple and then took my MBP in... at the store they said it was within spec, the hissing sound made by the left area when the power brick is connected. Its still within spec that it gets loud enough that I can hear it over the fans. Uhh yeah ok sure sure... :confused:

Anyway, asked to talk to the manager, he exchanged it even though he stuck with what the genius said about it being within spec but said if the exchange model makes the same sound, he won't exchange it again.

I'd honestly rather just return it for refund before living with that sound... it really bugs me... its not like a fan buzz, where the sound is constant, this one goes up and down in pitch and loudness... depending what you're doing... only when the power brick is hooked up.

17. shirazik macrumors newbie

I have a SR MBP and I have this ticking sound problem. When im in OSX the sounds is present when i scroll through webpages, when im in XP, it is really loud when I play a game. I'm guessing it does have to do with the GPU, but is it even normal...I dunno. The ticking is not present when im on XP and doing basic OS stuff like scrolling and moving windows around, but when Im on OSX it's definitely there.

My guess is this ticking sound is coming from the GPU because whenver graphic intensive stuff is going on, ticking sound appears.

Very annoying.

edit: ya im pretty much 99% sure its the GPU not the fan. In game it makes the ticking sound, once i pause out and go to the menu it immediately stops, but the fan is still running.

18. shirazik macrumors newbie

called applecare today and they said that it is normal for the gpu to make some sound, but what I reported was not normal.

For me, everytime I hit f12 for widgets, a buzzing sound that lasts no longer than half a second gets emitted. THAT is not annoying, but the fact that this happens ANYTIME a graphics intensive thing happens IS annoying (ie: playing a game it is constant, and louder)

The applecare guy told me to go to a mac store and get it checked out.

A simple test to see if you have this problem:
    Hit your defined button to go to widgets and listen (put your face close to the keyboard - right side)
    please try that and see what happens. Thanks.

19. schlomo32 macrumors newbie

ill bring this back from the dead

My 2.5 ghz MBP makes a ticking sound coming from the gpu area when playing 3D games. I know its not the fan because the ticking becomes faster and louder if there is a lot of action onscreen. When I pause the game or look at the ground the noise goes away. Its not incredibly loud but its louder than the fans. Does this sound like normal operation? thanks for any help!

20. txcdcky thread starter macrumors newbie

It's not normal. My mbp now performs beautifully, and quietly, while gaming.

21. shirazik macrumors newbie

Same thing happens to me. Definitely not normal. I want to do something about it, but I'm too lazy. I hope nothing is getting damaged by it, but then again I have the warranty so it should cover it.

You are not alone sir, you are not alone.

22. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

Actually its not a defect but it is VERY annoying.

A lot of laptop harddrives, the newer ones even have a sticker on the drive telling you this click is normal (If your talking the tick I think your talking about its the harddrive not the fan). I would say about 1/6 of the drives in my office (about 300) have this same tick. I bought an HP laptop and it had the same anooying tick. I couldnt take it so I replaced the drive, then sold the laptop and got my first mac :D