Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lauph

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 29, 2007
30 mins from Cupertino
The title's debate never had a definitive conclusion, did it?

Geekbench says 2.4 Merom is faster than 2.4 Penryn, while Macworld says 2.4 Penryn is faster than 2.4 Merom.

I'm not asking for "performance per price" ratio here, but just a "A to B" comparison.

I only found geekbench and macworld benchmarking them. Anyone have more findings?

wk127001

macrumors member
Feb 24, 2008
Yeah if your task utilizes the new instruction sets (SSE4.1 I believe) then penryn is the way to go. Also less heat and better battery life with penryn, but you probably knew that. I don't see why you would go merom unless money was a huge issue.

cmm26red

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2008
The title's debate never had a definitive conclusion, did it?

Geekbench says 2.4 Merom is faster than 2.4 Penryn, while Macworld says 2.4 Penryn is faster than 2.4 Merom.

I'm not asking for "performance per price" ratio here, but just a "A to B" comparison.

I only found geekbench and macworld benchmarking them. Anyone have more findings?

Considering that geekbench only benched the systems with their own software, Mac worlds benchmarks should be favored in making a decisions as to which model is more powerful. Granted, the performance gains are small, but I believe the Penryn is a more powerful machine overall. I am basing this on Mac worlds results, specifically, how the Penryn outperformed the 2.6GHz Merom in the CS3, MPEG encode, and Zip Archive Finder. Also noted is how close the lower spec'd Penryn came to the 2.6GHz Merom in Speedmark 5 and it actually tied in ITunes MP3 encode.

Once applications start utilizing the new instruction set, the gap will widen. As a former 2.4 Merom owner (for all of 1 week), I can say that my 2.5Ghz Penryn runs much much cooler and the battery lasts anywhere from 30 - 45 minutes longer.

shoppy

macrumors 65816
Mar 4, 2007
Hants
There is also the difference in cache, hard drive size and also the trackpad between A and B. I had previous generation 2.4 and new 2.4, I found the new 2,4 slower in my own usage. So I returned with a restocking fee and ordered a 2.5.

The penryn was simply slow in contrast to my 17" 2.6. We will see how the new 2.5 fairs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.