2.4 v. 2.53 MBP & L2 Cache

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by flalaw, Oct 23, 2008.

1. flalaw macrumors regular

Hey guys. I'm debating whether to get the 2.4 or 2.53 ghz MBP and whether the 400 dollar price difference is worth it ($1,599 for the 2.4 and $1,999 for the 2.53 in developer store). I mainly word-process, surf the web, and sometimes encode a DVD or two. Essential the difference b/w the 2.53 and 2.4 is a tiny bump in processor speed, 2gb RAM, some more memory on video card, and a larger L2 cache.

If i get the 2.4 I plan on upping it to 3gb for about $70. I'm guessing I don't need the increase in graphics card memory since I don't photoshop or game that much. This leaves the bigger L2 cache as the only difference. Would this larger cache make a difference in every day tasks, or should I just stick to the cheaper MBP given my computing needs?

Thanks!

2. skyrider007 macrumors 65816

skyrider007

I guess you'd barely notice any difference between the two unless you're using some sort of benchmark apps or doing highly CPU/GPU-intensive work. Go for the base model, it is more bang for the bucks. You'd then have more spare cash to upgrade your HD/RAM etc.

3. flalaw thread starter macrumors regular

It turns out that if I configure the 2.4 with 4gb ram and the 320 gb HD, then the price difference between the 2.4 and 2.53 is $200.

4. flalaw thread starter macrumors regular

Is the difference in the L2 cache noticeable with only intensive tasks, or does it help across the board like upgraded RAM does?

5. smukkebenne macrumors member

It should only be noticeable in very memory intensive tasks. Not space intensive, but tasks that involve frequent reading of memory .

6. Kaupa macrumors regular

Hello,
    does anyone know, which model the 2,53 one is? Is it a "T" or a "P", 25 or 35W TDP?
    Thx

7. raymondu999 macrumors 65816

The MacBook Pro uses DDR3 1066, PC3-8500. I don't think you'll be finding that price anytime soon. Now prices are... well, let's just say you start at $500 and go up north:rolleyes:

8. MikeBrWade macrumors member

The % difference between the 2.4 and 2.53 is only 5-6% however you get a nearly 20-22% jump between the 2.4 and the 2.8 (partly due to the stock 4GB) in benchmarks. So in my opinion the real question if if you want to get the 2.8 or not which I chose to do.

However if you get the 2.4 (remember only 256 Ram in the dGPU) and upgrade the ram etc to make it match the stock settings on the 2.53 you end up paying more. If you are in the market for a "pro" machine why not go all the way.

JM2C

9. skyrider007 macrumors 65816

skyrider007

The OP's requirement (word-process, surf the web, and sometimes encode a DVD or two) does not really a max spec MBP. I think the base MBP is the way to go. RAM price will drop over time and there's no need for the OP to upgrade the RAM right now. Unless you have a pocketful of disposable cash and zero debt then go for the best thing available.

10. MikeBrWade macrumors member

Well from that statement, you could save your self $400 more and not get a pro

11. skyrider007 macrumors 65816

skyrider007

Maybe the OP needs firewire port and the larger screen real estate?

12. MikeBrWade macrumors member

Maybe they shouldn't whine and drop $3k like the rest of us ;-) hahahaha Just kidding, guys I am just expressing an "opinion" don't get all flustered.

If I am going to go and buy an expensive top of the line laptop, then I am going to go all the way with it. I don't like half-a$$ ing things, or maybe I just like blowing money for the sake of a fancy gadget. HA

But if you are constantly worried about always having the fastest best computer then you will never be happy. I personally plan to keep this laptop for years and years so it makes sense to get as high as I can right now (btw I mean feature set and not "other" things)

13. apolloa macrumors G3

apolloa

The new Mac Book Pro 2.53 and 2.8 use the T series of Intel chips. This has been proved by people installing Windows and running the Intel detection tool.

14. flalaw thread starter macrumors regular

oh yea? i though it was $70 for 2gb from crucial. no? i may have checked the wrong specs.