2.4 Vs 2.6 MBP..Worth The Price?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by nyycavo24, Jan 17, 2008.

1. nyycavo24 macrumors member

I am going to the Apple Store in my local mall tomorrow night to buy a new MBP. With the recent update, I was trying to figure out whether or not I should by the 2.4Ghz/4GB RAM or the 2.6Ghz/4GB RAMfor the extra $250.

What is the opinion of any veteran Macbook or General Apple users on this? Is the 250 better spent on the extra speed bump (WILL I EVEN NOTICE THE DIFFERENCE?) or on something else that I could get with the system (iPod, Printer, etc).

I am going in with a friend who is a student at a local college so I can get the $200 discount :)

Please help, I don't want to sink $250 into this for absolutely nothing!

2. evilyankeefan macrumors regular

evilyankeefan

Couple things. From what others have posted in the forums, you won't see the .2GHz difference. Spend the $250 on extra RAM (DON'T BUY FROM :apple: - too expensive). You'll have some money left over to put towards an external HDD for Time Machine.

3. Squonk macrumors 65816

Squonk

I don't think the 2.6 would be worth it unless you are going to be pushing the machine to 100% cpu utilization often.

Also, this is a BTO option and will not be available in the retail stores I believe...:)

4. nyycavo24 thread starter macrumors member

I was in the Apple Store today and they only have the 17 inch version of the 2.6...the 2.6/15.4 inch upgrade is only available online.

I don't think I will be pushing it to 100% utilization all that much, I plan on doing a fair amount of video editing, but I'm assuming that with 2.4 Ghz and 4 GB of RAM (probably buying it through Crucial) I should be okay....agreed?

5. thechidz macrumors 68000

thechidz

the 2.6 will have higher resale value.

what store has a 17 inch 2.6 in stock??????:confused:

6. nyycavo24 thread starter macrumors member

Tysons Corner Center in McLean, VA (DC Suburbs).

Is there anything I need for the student discount when I walk into the store?

Will I need a student ID? Student e-mail address? Something? Anything? I am not a student, but my wife graduated with a bachelors a few weeks ago...Or Im considering dragging my buddy to the store (who is still in school)

7. thechidz macrumors 68000

thechidz

Bring your wife with her student ID. If its still valid you should be fine

8. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

When Handbrake'ing a DVD, the processor directly dictates how quickly the DVD is ripped. I'd be interested to see if how much faster this would be accomplished.

9. Matiek macrumors member

I would buy the $250 upgraded just because it's an option that you won't be able to purchase later on. You can always buy ram. The extra 200 mhz makes a bigger difference with 4 gigs later on. Not to mention the resale, in three years or so I'm sure you'll be able to sell it for close to $250 more just because there won't be that many 2.6 ghz machines on the market.

What are you planning on using it for?

10. kdawg macrumors regular

kdawg

Unless you are a machine, a human could not tell the difference between the two. Save your $$$ also as someone also mentioned. Get your memory elsewhere. You will save a ton

11. capitanbuzo macrumors 65816

I would also consider a 7200 RPM HDD. That is what I will be doing in the next couple days. I will order a 15" 2.6ghz 200GB 7200 RPM HDD with 4GB of RAM.

12. thechidz macrumors 68000

thechidz

Thats exactly what I have. I added the ram from crucial. I'm pretty sure when the new macbook pros come out the 2.4 model will either be low-end or possibly even disconned making the 2.6 low end. This will help the resale value tremendously on our machines.

13. capitanbuzo macrumors 65816

Thanks again for the ADC advice. I will be ordering thorugh them by Monday.

14. surripere macrumors member

Ditto.

Although, now that I have it I'm having a hard time imagining parting with this computer in the foreseeable future. Resale value aside, it's a fantastic machine and will remain just as powerful when the updates finally arrive.

Nice to still be top of the line after Macworld, though. ;)