2.4 vs 2.8xtreme -- worth the xtra $250?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by mikerol, Aug 8, 2007.

1. mikerol macrumors member

I don't have a full understanding of tech specs like most of the folks here do. I'm going to buy a 24, probably order with 1GB RAM and order a 2GB stick from Ramjet (unless anyone has had a bad experience with them -- please tell me).

What I'm not sure of is whether the 2.8 is worth the $250 upgrade. I use iMovie a bit, but mostly use my iMac to edit and retouch in Photoshop -- typically 25-50MB files. Would I see a major speed difference from 2.4 to 2.8? I don't play video games or anything.

Appreciate advice.

2. Jasonbot macrumors 68020

Jasonbot

Well if you think of computers in the old days most would only have about a 400Mhz processor, think older G4's, and this is an extra DUAL 400Mhz so think of it as almost adding another old computer into your computer. So yes, I think it's well worth it.

3. BWhaler macrumors 68020

BWhaler

Beats me.

I suspect not.

(but I just bought an iMac and went for the upgrade. Better safe than sorry and it may add to the life of the computer...)

4. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

I think the bump is probably worth the money. Any processor bound task is going to be faster, though perhaps not noticeably so for many tasks, on the faster CPU. It's the one I'd certainly go for.

5. l33r0y macrumors 6502

Yes, I'd say its worth it - thats's what I have in mind anyway.

6. Jasonbot macrumors 68020

Jasonbot

It's better than the BTO in the old iMacs from 2.16Ghz to 2.33Ghz, now that was something you could miss out on...

7. mikerol thread starter macrumors member