2.4 Whitebook Late '08...graphics question..

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Prekesh, Jan 21, 2009.

1. Prekesh macrumors regular

Prekesh

Right. i have a late 2008 Whitebook, 2.4 GHz C2D 2gb ram and 160gb hdd.

i bought it 10 days before the alum ones came out (yea that bugged me) but now i've seen all the problems (i don't like the screen although it wouldn't bother me) i don't mind that i have the whitebook.

now, today i seen that the whitebook has the 9400M graphics card (the main reason i would want an aluminium) would anyone know if i can upgrade the card inside my macbook from the intel to the nvidia, i mean if i could it would be so awesome.

2. skinniezinho macrumors 6502a

no you can't.

3. Prekesh thread starter macrumors regular

Prekesh

4. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

You should have swapped it out for an alum one. You had 14 days for that.

5. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

Unfortunately, the GFX in these laptops aren't on "cards" like desktops. They're integrated into the motherboard (Logic-board).

6. cathyy macrumors 6502a

In the event that your logic board fails and they have to replace a new one, do you think it's possible to use Nvidia's Ion platform instead?

7. timestoby macrumors 6502

DUH, but the 9400 is like a low end dedicated card but still way better than the x3100

8. whitebook macrumors regular

whats with the DUH???

9. Prekesh thread starter macrumors regular

Prekesh

right, i talked to apple on the live chat today, they said they don't sell the motherboards (duh), but the assistant told me to ring apple care and ask them, she said that they will most likely offer an upgrade. (she also said that they have had a lot of these 'requests' since the release of the newer whitebook)

now im trying to ring apple care, but they won't pick up. so i'll try in about 20-30mins lol.

10. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

Why the "DUH?" Some laptops in fact do have removable GFX cards, so if that's the point you were trying to make, you failed there.

11. gamer2502 macrumors regular

No you can't upgrade it unfortunately but if you really want the new white macbook and you have a little bit of cash to burn you could go sell your current macbook for around $800-900 maybe even $1000 and then go buy the new macbook. Here is a tip some people will buy your macbook for about what the updated whitebook costs because they have no need for more graphics power and only care about the extra 400mhz but the new one if just as fast if not faster than the new one because it has more fsb.:apple:

12. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

I highly doubt Apple will upgrade. I would assume that the LOGICBOARD* (not motherboard) is shaped differently and therefore they wouldn't be able to do such a thing.

13. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

of course you can't. some laptops do have removable graphics cards, but those are rare.