2.4Ghz 15" headphone jack issue

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by m1stake, Jun 17, 2009.

1. m1stake macrumors 68000

The headphone jack on my notebook (see sig) likes to stop working intermittently. When this happens, the volume buttons will not change the sound level, but the computer displays the usual volume overlay with a "NO" circle. In addition, the lyrics of sounds, when the jack isn't misbehaving, are almost unhearable. I thought it my be my speakers since they're new, but the iPod has none of these issues with the speakers. Any ideas? This is incredibly irritating because the built in speakers sound like garbage. Thanks for your help in advance.

2. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

The only time I've seen the image you've described is when an optical cable is plugged in (no volume control over the optical interface).
    If you're just plugging a regular 3.5mm cable in it sounds like it's triggering the optical connection by mistake occasionally: You could try cleaning the plug or trying a different cable if possible.
    If you are plugging in an optical cable then the no volume control is expected, but if you get bad quality sound it could be a damaged cable.

3. m1stake thread starter macrumors 68000

The optical is activated, but it's a 3.5mm plug, NOT optical. My PC doesn't have these problems. :rolleyes:

4. JonHimself macrumors 68000

JonHimself

The jack can accept both 3.5 analog (headphone) hook-ups and the optical audio as well. I have never had any problems with the computer distinguishing between the two but perhaps the new jacks are different? Seems like a weird problem unfortuantely.