2.4GHz 15" MB Pro Peak Temperatures?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by iboost79, Oct 10, 2008.

1. iboost79 macrumors member

I bought a brand new MB Pro back in March of this year. I used it moderately and not overworking the machine. The other day, my MB Pro was really hot and stays now at about 120 degrees. It reached to 165 degrees while I was watching a DVD Rip and converting songs on iTunes. I only had 2 programs opened. Could it be because of the faulty video card? Is this normal? 165 degrees? Has anyone's MB Pro gotten hotter than mine?

2. WilliamG macrumors 604

If you're talking Fahrenheit, which I assume you are, then yes. Perfectly normal. I've seen my 2.4Ghz model hit high 80s C (176F), so yes. Normal.

3. iboost79 thread starter macrumors member

I'm sorry. I meant, Fahrenheit. OK. I was getting kind of worried. At least I know it's normal.

4. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Yeah I've gone to 95ºC (203ºF) when I accidentally left my computer on (with InsomniaX) in my backpack. Bad bad. :eek:

Computer survived without hitch though. :)

5. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

My MacBook hit a new record after they replaced the upper case. It's 89º C (193º F).

6. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

I've reached 97 Celsius or 207 Fahrenheit while converting a video file among other things at one point in time.

7. Firanide macrumors member

The highest temp I've had on my 17" CD is 108ºC (226.4ºC) when I had quite a few things running at once. It idles around 70ºC on a normal day. Who needs heating? :p

8. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

How did you do that? :confused:

The TjMax is 100ºC!

9. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

My CPU's max temp only hit about 85 deg C... but my GPU has hit max of 96 deg C.

10. Firanide macrumors member

I'm not sure. I've definitely had it over 100ºC several times though, according to smcFanControl.

11. findnemo macrumors regular

Mine hits 80C. Don't be afraid to use the fan guys....

I used to be afraid of putting it above 3500rpm....but I found out that the thing stays COOL at 4500rpm +

Whenever I run extensive applications or games in windows I crank it to 5200rpm.