2.4ghz/5ghz

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by aces99, Sep 29, 2015.

1. aces99 macrumors 6502

aces99

Hi, I have a question about 2.4ghz/5ghz connectivity. My internet provider just upgraded me to a new modem that does both 2.4ghz and 5ghz because I wasn't getting very good signal in part of the house. I have the modem in the main living room right beside the computer. I have the computer and everything hooked up to 5ghz. But when I take my iPhone or iPad to the other side of the house the 5ghz cuts out and I have to hook up to 2.4ghz. The problem is every time I leave the house and come back my iPhone doesnt automatically hook up to wifi like it did before unless I delete one of the networks from the iPhone and it only has one to choose from. Then if I come back home it will automatically connect to it. But then I would have to re-add the network and put in the password each time I left and came back to my house. Is there anyway I can have both the 2.4ghz and the 5ghz networks on my iPhone and iPad and have it automatically connect to one of the networks. Because right now if I have both networks on my iPhone and leave my house and come back home or go from one end of the house and go to the other end it will not automatically hook to wifi.

2. Advil macrumors 6502a

5ghz has lower range typically. if you're not in a congested area 2.4 is fine. i use 5ghz ac because i'm in an apartment building with a ton of routers interfering. i would just make it "forget" the 5ghz connection and let it automatically connect to the 2.4

3. Surf Donkey Suspended

Surf Donkey

Your ISP installed this because of distance from the router or congestion (other wifi in the area)?

4. aces99 thread starter macrumors 6502

aces99

They installed it because of distance, the other end of the house is a ways away from the router, about 50 feet. Which isn't really that far but the problem is there are a few walls in between that is blocking the signal. So what they did is they installed a 2.4ghz router in one part of the house and a 5ghz booster in the other part of the house.

If I just use the 2.4ghz network then the signal is weak in the main part of the house and on the main computer. The signal is good in the other part of the house and vice versa, lol. The main problem is when I come home my iPhone doesn't hook up to any wifi automatically, I have to do it manually. Which sometimes I forget and is a pain. Shouldn't it at least hook to one of them.