2.4gHz iMac vs 2.0gHz MacBook

Discussion in 'iMac' started by sk8mash, Feb 1, 2009.

1. sk8mash macrumors 6502a

sk8mash

I just received a MacBook, and have done a quick startup test. Surprisingly, my iMac and my MacBook both started in the same time. Both have 2GB or RAM, but obviously the MacBook is DDR3 whereas the iMac is DDR2. Both have no programs set to run on startup, so why isn't my iMac faster?

Also, after startup I would usually open iTunes, Safari, and EyeTV at the same time. The MacBook opened these alot quicker than the iMac, especially iTunes which took a good 10-20 seconds more on the iMac. Both iTunes libraries are the same.

I also loaded up a GarageBand project on both Macs. The project has alot of tracks in it. Scrolling down the tracks whilst it is playing lags a bit on the iMac, however it is smooth on the MacBook. Both running iLife '09.

I guess my iMac is not performing as it did a year ago when I bought it. What can I do to speed it up again?

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Start up depends of your hard drive and iMac has better (7200rpm). But DDR has also something to do there. You can't really speed it up more but try programm call Onyx it should do something

3. sk8mash thread starter macrumors 6502a

sk8mash

OK i'm downloading Onyx. Is there anything specifically that I should do?

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

5. sk8mash thread starter macrumors 6502a

sk8mash

Thanks. I've done a few things with onyx, but it doesn't really seemed to have made a difference. iTunes just took nearly 30 seconds to load. Does anyone know why my iMac is not performing?

6. gamer2502 macrumors regular

7. Vulcan macrumors 65816

Vulcan

Something is wrong there, iTunes takes approximately 14 seconds to load on my White MacBook and I have a huge library.

Did you run all of the clean-ups options?

8. sk8mash thread starter macrumors 6502a

sk8mash

I ran most of them, pretty much all the ones it recommended. Could it be a hardware issue? My iTunes library is only 23.41GB. I also regularly getting the spinning beach ball when just browsing safari.

9. AlexisV macrumors 68000

AlexisV

A couple of things to try:

• boot up from your OS X DVD and run Disk Utility. Do a full repair of the hard drive and repair permissions.

• try resetting Safari

10. sk8mash thread starter macrumors 6502a

sk8mash

I tried repairing from the disk and it said there was nothing wrong. Any other ideas?