2.4ghz Macbook Pro (4gb ram) Terribly Slow

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Dark, May 5, 2009.

1. Dark macrumors regular

Out of no-where my 17inch MBP is now running slower than than a 94 Compaq. It's not even useable. I cant even open word without it completely locking up. As a result I actually missed an assignment for school. I'll try running disk utility later to see if that helps but Im worried. In the system profiler it says my RAM is fine, so that rules out faulty memory I guess.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

-Chris

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Repair permissions, restart, use Activity Monitor to see what's using resources... the answer is there somewhere.

3. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Did you install 3rd party RAM or is stock/upgraded from Apple? If it isn't too much trouble, I'd do an archive/install without preserving user settings and folders. If you have time to troubleshoot, there are a few things you can do in before the reinstall but I find it's the easiest/fastest way in determining a software problem or hardware problem.

4. Dark thread starter macrumors regular

The RAM was factory installed upgrade, so I doubt its a hardware problem. Although you never know. Im not even sure I can run disk utility without it freezing up.

5. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

download Onyx and do a complete repair and clear logs.
    reset PRAM
    reset SMC

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

regardless of who upgraded the ram, if it was a recent upgrade and now your computer is suddenly slower, I'd not be quick to dismiss it, and I don't use the system profiler to tell me the ram is defect free.

I'd run the Apple Hardware Test to see if anything kicks out.

I'd also start looking to see what software/hardware was installed lately and look to see if those items could be the cause, then run the AHT.

Another recommendation is to create a new user and see if the performance problems is caused by a corrupted user acct.

7. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

system profiler won't tell you if your RAM is working properly.

Make appointment with apple store genius bar.