2.4GHz MBP vs. 2.5GHz MBP for video editing

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by macman7002, Jun 26, 2008.

1. macman7002 macrumors regular

Hey!
    I was wondering if I were to use the 2.5GHz MacBook Pro with 2GB of RAM will I notice much difference in exporting and rendering video speeds in Final Cut Pro then using a 2.4GHz MBP with 4GB of RAM? Thanks for the help!

2. keehun macrumors regular

I think 2GB of RAM increase is significantly better than increase of 0.1GHz on the CPU. Like, very significantly.

I'm assuming same video card?

Keehun

3. AmpCoder macrumors 6502

I would personally go with the 2.5GHz CPU with 2GB of RAM as it has twice as much CPU cache (6MB vs 3MB) which will give you somewhat of a performance boost. Also, the 2.5GHz CPU model has the 512MB GeForce while the 2.4GHz has the 256MB GeForce, which will also give you somewhat of a performance boost. Not to mention you can always upgrade the RAM on the 2.5GHz CPU model to 4GB at a later date, while you cannot upgrade the CPU or GPU at all on either model.

4. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

if you have the extra $500 then go for it!
    but the 4gb ram will make the big difference

5. macman7002 thread starter macrumors regular

Okay, thanks. I may end up switching to an iMac as my MacBook Pro is having some warping issues. But thanks for the advice, I really appreciate it!
    -MacMan7002

6. Chromako macrumors member

Warping? Ever tried *carefully* rolling up a dish towel and using it as a fulcrum on a table to push the chassis into shape? Worked spectacularly on my PB, though nerve-racking.

Oh, and for video editing, I'd upgrade the memory first. Though the extra L2 cache would be nice, too...