2.4Ghz Processor running at 1.58Ghz Under Bootcamp

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rkenyon, Nov 22, 2008.

1. rkenyon macrumors newbie

I've just purchased a new 2.4Ghz Aluminium Macbook. I installed bootcamp and Windows XP.

I've checked the processor speed, and it seems to be running at 1.58Ghz rather than 2.4Ghz.

Could somebody who has a similar setup please check theirs, and let me know if they have a similar problem?

To check the speed, click 'Start', then right click on 'My Computer'. It will say something like :-

Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU
    P8600 @ 2.40Ghz
    1.58Ghz, 1.72 GB of Ram
    Physical Address Extension

Many thanks,
    Rick

2. mknawabi macrumors 6502

mknawabi

That's because intel speedstep is enabled, which brings down your CPU multiplier when its not under any load. In order to keep it at 2.4, go to your power settings and hit choose "Always On"

3. MacUser2525 macrumors 68000

MacUser2525

Which is not really needed at all when the processor needs the extra speed when a load is placed on it it will increase the speed and its not only the multiplier that gets reduced the voltage does as well. So that setting just increases the heat produced in the machine and shortens the running time when on battery.

4. bmcgrath macrumors 65816

bmcgrath

Don't worry it's normal.

My 2.2 MBP runs at something like 980mhz when it's not doing much, but fire up a game or something intensive it goes upto 2.2ghz.
    It's just the intel speed step slowing the CPU down to save power and keep heat at bay. :)

5. 7even macrumors 6502a

My desktop's 2.4ghz chip throttles down to 1.6 when idle as well. Totally normal.

6. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Windows XP did that to my old Dell. I had like a 1.6 Ghz CPU, and it often would drop below 1 GHz when I checked it out. Just a power-saving thing.

7. rkenyon thread starter macrumors newbie

8. nick9191 macrumors 68040

It pushes it back up to the full speed when you need it. Don't worry about disabling it, its a good thing, and almost impossible to disable anyway.