2.4ghz vs 5ghz network

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Chevelle, Dec 11, 2015.

1. Chevelle macrumors regular

I have a 6, wife just got a 6s plus. I have a 802.11AC router with ATT Uverse. It has both 2.4 and 5ghz antennas. I've never set up a separate SSID. It's set up however the tech did it.

So is there a way to tell what signal my router is putting out? Can it be putting out both? And if so is there a way to set up the iPhones so that they take the 5ghz signal while the baby monitor and stuff is on the 2.4?

2. knownikko macrumors 6502

802.11ac is 5GHz only, so if your router actually has a 2.4GHz radio as well, that band is only 802.11n.

It's possible, likely even, that it's broadcasting a signal on both bands with the same SSID. 802.11ac capable clients should favor the 5GHz radio.

If you really want to strictly enforce which devices use which band, you'll need to configure them with separate SSIDs.

3. Elisha macrumors 6502a

Elisha

Some routers like the Netgear have a feature called Smart Connect where the router controls which band and channel your device connects to for the least interference and best speed.

4. Chevelle thread starter macrumors regular

I see. It's a pace 5268ac router and apparently it has 802.11n antennas as well for the 2.4ghz. So I don't know if it's outputting both signals all the time.