2,4Ghz'SR'MBP + 4Gb'OCZ = 4.01Gb ??? WTF!!!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by EspressoLove, Oct 7, 2007.

1. EspressoLove macrumors 6502

EspressoLove

2,4Ghz MBP, just installed 2x2Gb OCZ 5400 4Gig kit.
    In a 'System Profiler' it reports 4Gb exact, but in 'System Memory' tab of 'Activity Monitor' it shows 4.01Gb.

Anyone else with 4Gb (OCZ/other brands) noticed this ?

Wonder if older 3Gb configs have this weird reporting, and if other systems: iMac, MacPro also have this.

[Update:] I have early July(wk27) MBP on 10.4.9 with no FW updates applied (just dont want to ruin otherwise relatively solid operation)
    (and if you suspicious how I manage iPhone: MB/10.4.10; but thinking of migrating it to WinXP/Tunes on MBP)

Attached Files:

2. Architect4122 macrumors regular

3. EspressoLove thread starter macrumors 6502

EspressoLove

Yeah was doing this calculations, but its ~4100Mb, not 4010, so this doesn't add up.

But I'm more interested to see what others with 4Gb MBP could see in Activity Monitor.
    Coz if we all have it, then I don't have to run and send it back to fry's, I suppose ;).

4. triscuitbiscuit macrumors member

It's most likely due to system and conventional rounding when it comes to reporting the amount of gigabytes. and 10 'extra' megabytes is nothing in today's world.
    Basically you have nothing special.

5. EspressoLove thread starter macrumors 6502

EspressoLove

Well I hope that it's nothing special, I just want in "confirmed" with other 4Gig equipped guys here.

P.S. Can not believe that no one yet stumble into this thread has 4Gigs, otherwise why no one with similar system/setup would not comment.

6. EspressoLove thread starter macrumors 6502

EspressoLove

Then I believe it would be common to every (Mac?) system with 4Gigs and more.

7. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

8. cmeriptahoe macrumors member

i have 4 gigs in my 2.4 SR and it only tells me 4 gigs. same type of RAM too. i dont know. it doesn't make a difference.

9. gotzero macrumors 68040

I have 4GB and my system tells me I have 3. Just enjoy the fact that you have the SR chipset, and don't worry about what the software says it is running...

10. klymr macrumors 65816

I'm also running OCZ from frys.com. Here is a screen shot from my activity monitor.

Attached Files:

11. EspressoLove thread starter macrumors 6502

EspressoLove

[just had an idea] So should I just try to run with just one stick at a time, to see ......
    I doesn't make sense either, because it would "dissolve" supposed 2.005Gb into 2.00Gb as it reports only 2 digits after decimal.

Don't know what or if, there is anything to do with it.

12. taylorwilsdon macrumors 68000

taylorwilsdon

Uh, who cares? Omg I have .01 extra free megaborgz omg lol look at my 4gigs of ram.

(FYI my Hynix 4gb shows as 4.00 gb. Its the memory apple ships with its computers, not aftermarket)

13. EspressoLove thread starter macrumors 6502

EspressoLove

Damn it, I knew people would make a joke out of it.
    I would also have fun, but it's my primary workhorse, I DEPEND ON IT!

And I spend a lot on it not to bling before you, but to have it my way, use it to the fullest (I can show you the picture when I have a lot of page outs on 4Gig, sometimes count is millions), and I want RELIABLE operation!

And the QUESTION here is, WHY it is so, is if FAULTY modules, or it's a harmless glitch within reporting subsystem of OSX.

I believe this info/outcome of investigation, could benefit all MacRumors community, as more and more people upgrade with max memory (as it becomes cheaper)

14. bobcan macrumors 6502a

bobcan

This is Right....

This Poster is Correct... except for the Bad "round up" and Decimal Placement... 4096MB will be 4.10GB...."ish"... :rolleyes:

Nothing for Free ; just the way it is!! Oh well... :(

15. yudilks macrumors regular

I think he just restarted his machine.... *consoling myself*

16. EspressoLove thread starter macrumors 6502

EspressoLove

Now my stock i7 MBP shows I have 3.88 GB RAM available.
    I thought that (0.125 GB = 128 MB) is reserved for intel's GFX, and I left it at that.

But recently I've tried OWC's 8 GB RAM (2x4GB) and it did report full 8 GB of RAM.
    What gives ?

Do you guys (with i5/i7 MBPs + 4GB) have your RAM reported correctly ?

P.S. Sorry, for bumping this thread - I've started a new one (link) for i7 MBP.

Attached Files:

17. Macsavvytech macrumors 6502a

Macsavvytech

Mine Seems to be a little bit more then it should this is the stock 4GB kit. 256MB is missing in the intel graphics so it should be round 3.75GB ish but as you can see its 3.88GB.

Attached Files:

18. Bobioden macrumors 68000

Bobioden

I have the 2010 MBP i5 with stock 4GB ram and mine show 3.88 in Activity Monitor.

[​IMG]