2,5" external hdd that fits to my iMac

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Pelesit, Sep 7, 2010.

1. Pelesit macrumors newbie

Hey,

i need an 2,5" external hdd that is fast and fits to my iMac.
    I don't care if its "mac ready" or seomthing, it's just about a cool design.

It should be fast too...
    I don't really need Firewire, but USB is important, to also connect it to a pc.
    Size: 640gigs and more. (more is better ;))

I could need a cool USB Stick too, size about 16gigs...

thank you!

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

3. Pelesit thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok,

now the problem is:
    Most of the PCs dont have FW 800 or even 400.
    So I need USB or better both.

The first one does not really look good, I would like to get something in alu or taht looks like alu... It can also be black or something, but it has to fit and be just nice.

The second one ist better, but nor 2,5" and so not really portable...

2,5" without an other wire (for current) would be great, because it's just really portable!

Same thing with the USB Stick...

thx

(do zou think apple will add usb 3.0 soon to the imac?!)

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Western Digital and LaCie also offer 2.5" HDDs with USB and/or Firewire 800.
    That was more meant as an example.​

The second link is a company, that also offers 2.5" HDDs with USB and Firewire, it just happens to have some problems with the website.
    [​IMG]
    Btw, most external 2.5" HDDs get their power via the USB or Firewire cable, but also have an extra power port, if the computer does not offer enough power via USB or Firewire.​

Don't know about that, maybe MRoogle (my sig) can help you there.​

When Intel will have implemented USB 3.0 into their chipset (2011), the Macs will most likely get USB 3.0 too. MRoogle will give you dozens, if not even more, threads about the USB 3.0 issue.​

5. Pelesit thread starter macrumors newbie

ok thx,

now i see the problems on the website...

Well, this drive would fit, but I saw one of these, and thez are pretty big.
    I dont need it too often, but it hase to be transportable...

Without this "feet" it would be great, but sou...

Maybe someone has an other one. I will look for the WD and the Lacie ones...

6. mangrove macrumors 6502

I use the OWC ALU PRO cases with FW800 + USB. Little feet are recommended for air flow, but mine are small little opaque rubber ones. Remember the size is just big enough to slide the drive into the contacts inside the enclosure, no bigger. The extra inside space is less than 1 cm. I would say the whole enclosure is only about 2 cm longer than a bare drive.

Also have a LaCie Rugged and it's length is the same as the OWC and this one is made to be portable. The width is slightly narrower than the OWC. Mine has USB, FW400 and FW800.