2.5" hd and 1.8" ssd and a optical drive. Possible?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by aage, Dec 28, 2010.

1. aage macrumors newbie

Hello,

I'm wondering if it would be possible to fit an extra 1.8" sata ssd in my macbookpro 15" without removing the optical drive.
    This way i can keep my 500GB storage and move the OS to a 128Gb ssd.

I was hoping to stick a 1.8" ssd on to my standard hdd. since the 1.8" is only 5mm thick.
    This would require a new sata cable from the motherboard to my 2.5" and to my 1.8"
    I'm not sure this excists.

Does anybody think this is possible? or not?

macbook pro 15" 2010 model 2.53 i5

2. moral-hazard macrumors regular

No, likely not possible, for two reasons:

1.) The machine only has 2 built in SATA connectors, and you're trying to connect 3 drives. The motherboards only have connections for two drives.
    2.) Apple notebooks don't tend to have that kind of free space inside of them. The 17" may be a little different, but overall the components are packed in there very tightly.

3. aage thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for your reply.

Is it not possible to connect 2 disks to one connector?
    Like master slave?

is supose i just wait for the big ssd's

4. al2o3cr macrumors regular

Under specific circumstances, it's possible to attach more than one drive to a SATA port (if the controller supports port multiplication), but that's not the case for the MBP, and there isn't room for the drive (let alone the port multiplier board) inside the MBP case.

5. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

Even if you could get it done through some seriously customized work, I doubt you would see the speeds you would like with the SSD.