2.5" HD replacement suggestions

CaptainCanuck

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 15, 2005
The hard drive on my 12" Powerbook is appears to be slowing dying (see here), so I've begun to shop around for a replacement hard drive. Any suggestions as to which brand (Seagate, Western Digital, etc.) appear to be reliable?

Applecare is expired so I would be installing it myself.

I've also heard that Newegg.com has a good reputation with deals on OEM hardware. Has anyone bought a hard drive through them?

THANKS

livingfortoday

macrumors 68030
Nov 17, 2004
The Msp
All drives will run about the same, I find, and everyone has a bias towards a certain company - but as long as you get a drive with a 3 - 5 year warranty, you'll be fine. I recommend going to newegg.com for your drive, it's easy to search, and they have great prices. You might wanna get a faster hard drive while you're at it, to give the ol' Powerbook a bit of a speed boost.

xfiftyfour

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2006
Clemson, SC
I think most around here tend to favor Seagate. Hitachi is well liked as well (this is what I have in my MB). WD gets mixed.. some hate them, some love them.. I've owned many and never had any problems.

Basically, what livingfortoday said is key, though: get a good warranty and you'll be fine (assuming you do backups!).

Oh, and yes, I've bought from newegg on several occasions, including the HD upgrade for my MB. Never had any problems whatsoever. Fairly quick shipping, good packaging, great prices...

kainjow

Moderator emeritus
Jun 15, 2000
On my MacBook I replaced the factory 60GB 5400RPM with a
100GB 2.5" Hitachi Travelstar 7K100 7200RPM SATA Notebook Drive with 8MB Cache
Has been working quite well :)

crea78

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2005
I was also looking at upgrading my HDD as well for my Macbook. Would it be OK to get the ATA-6 version or is it recommended to get the SATA?

CaptainCanuck

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 15, 2005
Thanks for the help. Ending up getting the 160GB Seagate Momentus through www.provantage.com, since Newegg won't ship to Canada. Provantage is linked from Seagate's website as being a official distributor, and everything seems to be alright. Luckily it's listed as the same price as on Newegg.

Can't wait until it gets here :D

kainjow

Moderator emeritus
Jun 15, 2000
Does a 2.5" 160GB 7200RPM drive exist right now? I've looked before but couldn't find any...

Upgrading the MacBook's HD is so easy it makes you want to cry with joy :)

crea78

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2005