2.5" HDD Enclosure + Question

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by SnowLeopard2008, Aug 22, 2008.

1. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

I'm looking for a simplistic design (aluminum if possible) 2.5" HDD enclosure. I would like it to have Firewire 400 and USB 2.0 interfaces, and only draw power from USB or Firewire

One last question: Why can't I get the 480mbps speed on my USB 2.0 SeaGate 2.5" HDD? I'm using the MacBook 3.1 (last november) and I can never get the full 480mbps of USB 2.0, why? thanks!

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...ite:forums.macrumors.com&as_qdr=y&btnG=Search

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firewire#Standards_and_versions :

3. CWallace macrumors 601

CWallace

I am a big fan of the macally line of products. I have both the ATA and SATA 2.5" models and they're great - especially when used with FireWire since it can power the drive.

4. SnowLeopard2008 thread starter macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

thanks but since firewire 400, as the macbook doesn't have firewire 800, is actually slower than USB 2.0, so I think I'll just pass on the new enclosure for my seagate freeagent go.

5. CWallace macrumors 601

CWallace

In terms of theoretical throughput, yes USB's 480mbps is faster the FireWire's 400mbps.

In terms of actual throughput, FireWire is almost always faster because it uses it's own processor to handle data and does not depend on the CPU like USB. Also, as FireWire supports up to one amp of power over the cable, vs. the half-amp of USB, FireWire can not only power an enclosure on it's own, but can be sure to power the drive at full speed (I have some 2.5" HDDs that draw more then .5 amp so I need to connect them to a wall outlet or use a second USB port to provide the additional power).

So I always use FireWire for my HDDs and external optical drives and never USB.

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Firewire 400 is faster than USB 2.0:

Attached Files: