2.5 months in with an outdated Ipod Touch....

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by ackmondual, Oct 4, 2015.

1. ackmondual macrumors 6502a

ackmondual

I've brought up how disappointed I am with how the IpT6 still has the same, dinky 4" screen. For me, a 4.7" screen was an absolute requirement. I've heard folks say the spec boosts are impressive. They are. And how without having an updated Iph at 4", the IpT6 has been a way around that, even if it's lacking cellular capabilities. I'm glad those folks find the IpT6 worthwhile. For me, without a larger screen, all of the other impressive spec boosts don't mean much to me. To me, those were expected to be there.

I've started off with an IpT3, and all of my IpT upgrades to the 5th gen was largely for the improved screens (Retina, then larger screen that's the same quality as the Iph5). This was the first time I did NOT get the new IpT. I was shocked to here how some folks are 1 or 2 generations behind on IpT, but now that I've been on my IpT5 when a newer IpT has been released, I find it to be not that bad. The sky certainly isn't falling.

I use my IpT-es as a "glorified gaming device", so until many of my games stop supporting ios7, I'm set (for... I'm going to say another year, or when ios10 gets released and devs really begin to start dropping legacy features). It may be a bit scary to think that 5 years from now, I won't be able to update my games (I have a couple that I would like to continue playing forever, as they've been releasing expansions via premium model, and content via free-to-play that I've continued playing to this day). But we'll deal with it when it comes up. Perhaps I'll snag the IpT6 when it gets a price cut, or see if the IpT7 is more to my liking. Ipad Air 1 should still last a few years down the road.

Still using a Samsung Galaxy s4 as my smartphone. On a semi-related note, I'll probably be using this for the longer term, as the s5 (capacitive menu button got replaced with task manager) and s6 (no expansion card slot nor user replaceable battery) don't pique my interest either. If the battery dies, I'll just buy a new one. The Galaxy s4 can still do that :cool:

2. jedisaga macrumors 6502

jedisaga

Actually, we are fortunate that a new IPT was released. It is widely known that this device isn't a real money maker for Apple and future updates will be marginally significant to keep it as current as they possibly can. Probably one of the reasons it didn't get a larger screen. Under the hood, there were SEVERAL updates including a faster processor similar to the iPhone 6, an improved camera and more memory.

J

3. ackmondual thread starter macrumors 6502a

ackmondual

Yeah, I'm not arguing how having an IpT6 was a bad thing. Overall, it has been good for some folks. But it doesn't offer all the features that are important to me, so it left my radar. The only good thing about the IpT6 is hopefully, it'll lead to an IpT7 that will.

4. jedisaga macrumors 6502

jedisaga

Depending on how many devices are sold, we may see an IPT7. Don't get me wrong, I wish the screen was a bit bigger and probably wouldn't have purchased this one if I didn't lose my previous IPT. But, considering I needed one, I'm happy I made the purchase.

J

5. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

Unless Apple were to produce iPod Touches with different screen size, it is probably good for them to produce one that is NOT the same or similar size to the iPhone. If someone wants a smaller pocketable iOS device, the iPod Touch is it. But if it is phablet sized, there's no option. For those who want a phablet-sized iOS device there's the iPhone. True it is more expensive than an iPod Touch but at least that option exists.

6. moderately, Oct 7, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2015

moderately macrumors 6502

moderately

Using my iPod as a PA, I am running Week Calendar, Numbers and Email principally. The iPT5 was draggy enough on iOS7 that I was reluctant to upgrade the OS. I thought at the time I would be happy with RAM and processor upgrades. Screen and design were fine. I was surprised to be a little disappointed initially that the design hadn't changed.

The iPT6 on iOS9 is smooth and trouble free. Faster in all things. A worthy upgrade and leaving the case off and changing the lock and home screen reassure me that I have a new machine.

7. greensalad macrumors regular

greensalad

It's lovely to read from people who are satisfied with what they already have.

8. Andres Cantu macrumors 68020

Andres Cantu

Yep, a rarity now-a-days, for sure :)

Also great to read posts from people who buy what they need and not upgrade to max just because.

9. ackmondual thread starter macrumors 6502a

ackmondual

With phones no longer being subsidized, that goes a long way towards this.