2.5" SATA Hard Drive Enclosures 500Gb Capacity

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Paulg2uk, May 18, 2009.

1. Paulg2uk macrumors regular

Hi all,

Does anybody know where i can get a good 2.5" SATA Hard Drive Enclosure for a seagate 500gb drive. I'm finding it pretty hard to find one here in the UK along with the capacity. So far i found up to 160gb from star-tech. i didn't really want to spend a huge amount on it but finding one is proving very difficult.

Any help would be great

Many thanks in advance

Paul

2. moiety macrumors member

I'm not convinced that enclosures are actually limited to what's on them. While I'm sure some are, I think whatever size they note was the top size when the enclosure was first made.

So I could see an enclosure manufacturer screaming "Supports up to 250GB!" if the first 2.5" 250GB drive has just been released. Doesn't mean it won't support more.

In fact, if they support the SATA standard, I don't see why they wouldn't readily take a 500GB drive. Can you buy it, try it and return it if it doesn't work?

3. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

The 10 dollar 2.5" enclosures on newegg support anything you throw at it. If you don't need all the bells and whistles this one may work well.

4. Thiol macrumors 6502a

Thiol

That's correct. Any SATA enclosure will work for the OP. In fact, I tend to buy empty enclosures rather than swapping smaller drives out of packaged sets.

5. Paulg2uk thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks guys that's cleared it up for me, I was getting a bit confused when it said only up to 160gb. i only need a cheap one its literally just to hook up to my mbp.