2.5" to 3.5" hard drive adaptor

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Thiol, Jul 21, 2008.

1. Thiol macrumors 6502a

Thiol

Hi all,

I'm trying to get a 2.5" SSD into a Mac Pro hard drive bay. I realize that it's possible to adapt the optical drive, but I'd prefer to avoid using the extra SATA slots. Does anyone know if a commercial 2.5" to 3.5" adaptor exists? The pickings are a little slim for cheap (MLC) 3.5" SSDs...

Thanks!

2. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

If you bought a cheap (usually under $1000) 2.5" SSD drive, keep in mind the cheap ssd drives are much slower than any 3.5" desktop drive and not worth the effor to mount in Mac Pro.

If you bought an expensive one, ask them where to get an adapter. I am pretty sure Newegg has such a thing.

3. nanofrog macrumors G4

Would this help?

Assuming the Velociraptor's connector is the standard location for a 2.5", it should work.

4. Thiol thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thiol

I'm not sure that the screws are positioned in the same place on an SSD as a Velociraptor... I might feel limited to the 3.5" ones just to keep life simple.

Are there not many of us experimenting with SSDs here?

5. nanofrog macrumors G4

Not too sure on the holes myself. Nor the plate height that mounts to the drive. Couldn't tell enough from the image. :confused:

I have a hard time believing that there isn't an adapter made for 2.5" drives to be mounted in 3.5" backplanes. :eek:

As far as SSD's not many I'd guess. Probably too expensive yet for most. :(

6. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

The Velociraptor's placement in its adaptor isn't "correct" for a 3.5" hard drive. i.e. You can't put a Velociraptor in a Mac Pro in its adaptor.

Just slide your 2.5" drive in. The physical plugs are the same between 2.5" and 3.5" drives in comparison to each other, it's just the physical layout compared to the size of the drive that's different. As long as you don't go bumping your computer often, you shouldn't have any issues.

In fact, quickly comparing a 2.5" and 3.5" drive I have handy, the SATA ports are aligned the same distance from the 'near' edge of the drive. (If you have your drive circuit-board up, connectors facing you, then it's the right side.) So when sliding your 2.5" drive in, hold it to the right side of the bay.

7. brand macrumors 601

brand

Yes you can. You just have to remove the two screws securing the plugs to the backplane and plug them into the hard drive by hand. Takes all of a minute or two.

8. nanofrog macrumors G4

The OP wanted to mount a 2.5" SSD in a Mac Pro. :eek:
    I suggested the adapter offered by maxupgrades (for Velociraptor) as a possible solution. :cool: