Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Vic Damone Jr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 9, 2015
i cant seem to find any bracket that makes a 2.5 properly aligned like a 3.5 hard drive. I have a icy dock that does this but the sata connector on the inside to one that would connect to the mac pro sled would cause freezes and lag so im looking to skip the middle man and just try to find a bracket. I know the mount pro from owc does this but i don't want an entirely new sled.

Ive attached a picture down below to a problem that im having with adapter not aligning correctly.

Maybe someone who deals with hot swappable servers that use the bottom of the 3.5 hard drive screws can provide some input.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-08-26 at 11.48.07 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-08-26 at 11.48.07 PM.png
    229.6 KB · Views: 421
Jul 4, 2015
Paris
i cant seem to find any bracket that makes a 2.5 properly aligned like a 3.5 hard drive. I have a icy dock that does this but the sata connector on the inside to one that would connect to the mac pro sled would cause freezes and lag so im looking to skip the middle man and just try to find a bracket. I know the mount pro from owc does this but i don't want an entirely new sled.

Ive attached a picture down below to a problem that im having with adapter not aligning correctly.

Maybe someone who deals with hot swappable servers that use the bottom of the 3.5 hard drive screws can provide some input.

I have two of those. They are very good but I wish they were cMP aluminium.

BillyBobBongo

macrumors 68030
Jun 21, 2007
On The Interweb Thingy!
I have two of those. They are very good but I wish they were cMP aluminium.
I ended up going with an Angelbird SSD's as they came with an adapter that I could just put on the standard Mac Pro sled, couldn't handle the thought of blue sleds in my Mac! :)

Yes, my wife tells me quite often that I'm 'A bit weird'.

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
If you are talking about 2.5" SSD, just put that in the optical bay without any mount is the easiest and cheapest option (I am doing that right now).

Or you can just plug it into any of the bay. Since the SSD is so light, the SATA port is strong enough to support the SSD at there. Quite a few of my friends doing that, no one even has any issue. However, I personally will recommend you at least tape it to the case (again, another cheap, dirty, but practical solution). Just a little piece of strong tape will hang the SSD at there forever.

Draeconis

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2008

A heat-sink mount from a Raptor drive would do it, they're probably quite cheap on eBay these days.

Reactions: hfg

BillyBobBongo

macrumors 68030
Jun 21, 2007
On The Interweb Thingy!
Your the first member here that I have heard has Angelbird's. How are they working for you?

Lou
Great bit of kit! Lighting fast boot up, about 8 seconds, and built in TRIM support. I'm aware that Apple will most likely be finally allowing native TRIM support for third party SSD's in el Capitan, but for now it's all fine and dandy for me.

One of the things that sold me, as I mentioned earlier, is the adapter that comes with the drive so I can use my standard drive sleds. I'm a bit of a neat freak and I have having parts lying around the place. All I now have to store is the four screws that are usually housed on the drive bay.

I ordered my drives from the Angelbird website itself, they came from Austria to the Netherlands in two days. My RAM took three times as long to travel 50 Km. Online registration for warranty was nice an easy. The drives come with a code, you just enter that code along with the email you used to order and the drive(s) and their system creates an account, logs the date of purchase, and it's job done. It all gives me the feeling that I have purchased a quality product and not just some random SSD from the electronics store where I have to hold on to a receipt in case it all goes south.

The drive is of course silent, which is both good and bad..since now whenever my 2TB Western Digital Black spins up it really grabs my attention. Think I might just have to order another one! ;)

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
Great bit of kit! Lighting fast boot up, about 8 seconds, and built in TRIM support. I'm aware that Apple will most likely be finally allowing native TRIM support for third party SSD's in el Capitan, but for now it's all fine and dandy for me.

Very Good to hear. FYI TRIM is available on 3rd party SSDs in the current Yosemite OS 10.10.5 using the same Terminal Command that will be used in El Cap.

Lou

Last edited:
Reactions: crjackson2134

BillyBobBongo

macrumors 68030
Jun 21, 2007
On The Interweb Thingy!
Very Good to here. FYI TRIM is available on 3rd party SSDs in the current Yosemite OS 10.10.5 using the same Terminal Command that will be used in El Cap.

Lou
Worth noting is that I'm a ridiculously lazy man! ;)

In other news, I've got a friend who's just put a Samsung Evo in his MacBook Pro, I'll be sure to pass on that information.

BlueWaterVA

macrumors member
May 25, 2012
SouthWest Virginia
I have 3 SSDs in my 2010 Mac Pro. They are in bays 2-4. I found 80GB WD Velociraptors on eBay for $8.00 each so l purchased 3 of them. I removed the 80 GB HDDs and mounted my SSDs using the WD mount and installed them on the stock Apple HDD sleds. They work perfectly and are definitely the cheapest solution you can find.

BillyBobBongo

macrumors 68030
Jun 21, 2007
On The Interweb Thingy!
I have 3 SSDs in my 2010 Mac Pro. They are in bays 2-4. I found 80GB WD Velociraptors on eBay for $8.00 each so l purchased 3 of them. I removed the 80 GB HDDs and mounted my SSDs using the WD mount and installed them on the stock Apple HDD sleds. They work perfectly and are definitely the cheapest solution you can find.

This is genius! May I present you with...

Attachments

• blue-peter-badge.jpg
    blue-peter-badge.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 132

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC

Nice... I really like this solution. I don't need this since I don't put my SSDs in the SATAII bays anymore, but I love the solution.

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
WD Velociraptors don't seem to be SSDs, looks like they are 10K RPM fast HDDs? Also looks like a 2½" HDD installed in a large heatsink with the outputs in the same spot as a 3½" HDD. Am I missing something?

Lou

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC
WD Velociraptors don't seem to be SSDs, looks like they are 10K RPM fast HDDs? Also looks like a 2½" HDD installed in a large heatsink with the outputs in the same spot as a 3½" HDD. Am I missing something?

Lou

Nope, remove the 2.5" 10k spinner and replace it with an SSD. You now have a giant heatsink/adapter,that lets you mount your SSD in an SATA drive bay using the stock sled (very cheaply), and with an incredible heatsink.

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
OK, now I understand, I went back and reread BlueWater's post - Makes sense now:)

Lou

mbosse

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2015
Vienna, Austria
I'm using two Mount Pro because there's no additional electronics involved as potential source of trouble. Highly recommended.
There's no electronics in any of these adapters as well. Just a circuit board (with no circuit other than necessary to position the SATA port correctly).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.