2.5 v 2.8 CPU for macbook pro for lightroom and iMovie

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Dtbain, Aug 24, 2014.

1. Dtbain macrumors newbie

I've just bought the mid-2014 15 inch rMPB (2.5GHz quad-core Intel Core i7, 16GB 1600MHz RAM, 512GB ssd, Intel Iris Pro Graphics
    NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M with 2GB GDDR5 memory).

I like it and it seems fast with Adobe Lightroom (though my old laptop was 8 years old!), although when rendering previews in Library mode it sometimes takes a second or so per new preview, reminding me it's not omnipotent.

I am also intending to get into some reasonably basic VIDEO editing at some point, perhaps iMovie, just for home videos and that sort of thing.

Given my intentions re video, I was wondering whether there is an argument for me swapping the machine for a 2.8.

So questions:

1. From what I can tell from looking around macRumours, most people seem to think that the 2.8 is not noticeably faster, indeed some tests (http://barefeats.com/rmbp14.html) suggest it may sometimes be slower (at least than the 2013 2.6, don't know about the 2.5). Is that correct? If so, that makes me think I should stick with what I've got.

2. Will the 2.5 be up to providing a pleasant video editing experience (of home movies, nothing Hollywood!) for some time to come?

3. Am I also right that it's only processes like producing the final render, or uploading the video in the first place, and NOT processes like the actual editing of the video, that *might* be sped up by the faster processor? I ask since, if so, those are processes where I can just go get a cup of coffee during the extra 6 minutes an hour (or whatever) that it might take with the 2.5 as against the 2.8.

4. I also wouldn't go for the 2.8 if it were much worse for battery life, but I get the impression that it's not.

All in all I am inclining to stick with what I've got -- but do tell me if I am making a mistake.

Thanks

David

2. yjchua95 macrumors 604

The stock high end will do you fine.

The 2.8GHz variant has the same TDP as the 2.5GHz variant, but you won't notice any difference given your usage.

Save the money for AppleCare.