$2,500 budget for macbook and ssd.. help!!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Muscle Master, May 8, 2011.

1. Muscle Master macrumors 6502a

Muscle Master

So I'm looking to purchase a new high end 15 inch MBP and a 120-128 GB SATAIII SSD with a budget of $2500

I would like to buy it off of amazon.. but the Hi resolution is a must!! so my options are kinda limited.. as for the SSD.. the fastest seems to be the vertex 3.. and they are running $300-$350..

Anyone got any advice?

2. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

What you want is basically impossible. The computer you want is already over $2300.

I would recommend buying the computer with the standard hard drive and upgrading to an SSD later. Not only will you end up with the same computer, but the SSD will be cheaper as time goes on.

3. NorCalLights macrumors 6502a

4. Lifequest macrumors regular

The refurbished one is not sandybridge.

Apples' prices are very controlled.
    Either increase budget or decrease expectation.
    The maths of it can't change.

5. tbayrgs macrumors 603

tbayrgs

Presently, this is your only option. You can wait until the new MBP start showing up in the refurbished section of the Apple Store online but by then, the cost of the SSD may very well have decreased so why not just pick up the MBP now with the standard HDD and enjoy it until you can afford to pick up the SSD and install it yourself?

6. NorCalLights macrumors 6502a

Clearly it's not the latest model, but it is a high end Macbook Pro (even has an i7 in it) with a high-res screen, easy enough to add an SSD, and the whole shebang will cost less than the budget. Seems like a no-brainer to me.

7. jmpnop macrumors 6502a

jmpnop

Its a good deal but I'd not spend that much on a refurbished old gen laptop.

I second this. This is the best option IMO.

8. jason221 macrumors 6502

If you qualify for the education discount, the 15" MBP with the anti-glare display is $2134. Subtract $45 from that if you want the hi-res glossy. Add $225 if you want the 2.3 GHz instead of the 2.2 GHz. Add $180 to make it 8GB RAM.

9. azax456 macrumors newbie

Just get the 15" 2.0 quad core i7 with 128GB SSD, high res display. It's only $1969 with education or government discount. Still way under $2500 without a discount. Am I missing something???

10. elVince macrumors newbie

Enroll in your local cc for a PE course, to obtain an .edu email and get some discounts

11. erickg, May 9, 2011
    Last edited: May 9, 2011

erickg macrumors 6502

You could get a 17" Macbook Pro (glossy) for 2,285.49 here and a 120GB SATA SSD from Newegg for 209.99 (179.99 after mail in rebate). If you really want the Vertex 3 you'd have to go about 80 bucks over budget.

Not a 15", but within budget and even higher res... ;)

12. iPhysicist macrumors 65816

iPhysicist

13. The Red Wolf macrumors regular

The Red Wolf

Refurbished

There is nothing wrong with a refurbished Mac. Same 30 day return/replace policy no questions asked. Same 1 year hardware warranty and applicable for Apple Care. Sometimes when you get a Refurbished mac, you get a bonus that isn't listed such as a bigger HD or more RAM depending on what model is available when you buy and what is in stock.

Advantages to previous generation models:
    Cheeper
    Time Tested (Previous revision kinks have been worked out)
    New Sandybridge machines are a rev A. like board which may not have all the bugs worked out along with a new video card/processor.
    A 17" MacBook Pro previous generation will have a much higher resolution than the current 15.

To fit the budget you're looking at, you could get a refurbished previous generation or wait until the current generation refurbished computers start showing up. Lastly, because of the connection on both the previous and current generation, you'll see a vast boost in speed with an SSD. Which can be added later.

As a final note, yes a Virtex3 is fast, but the Crucial one is comparable and more budget friendly. Also, look for refurbished macs with SSDs in them.

For instance: http://store.apple.com/us/product/G0GPDLL/A?mco=MTg1Njg5ODA Doubles the size of the SSD (256) and gives you a 17" display.

14. Gold89 macrumors 6502

Depending on what he wants to use on it (and judging by the requirement for the most powerful model) then the big leap in performance to the quad core is worth getting the latest generation.

15. Muscle Master thread starter macrumors 6502a

Muscle Master

Thanks... and damn you for showing me that!!!

This is gonna be a hell of a choice:confused:

16. Muscle Master thread starter macrumors 6502a

Muscle Master

I'm sold.. what threw me off was was the size, then I realized that the MBP is one of the thinnest powerful 17 inch computers out there.. compared to your standard 17 HP

and I was gonna opt for the i7-2720 ove the i7-2820, 100MHz does not sit rite with me over the price

17. erickg macrumors 6502

I know, right? I wanted to get a 15" myself with the upgraded screen, but now I'm seriously considering this instead. I think I'll end up getting the 17" and upgrade to a 750 GB 7200 RPM HDD instead of the SSD for the time being. Later down the road I can always switch out the DVD drive for a smaller 120 GB SSD with an Optibay or similar product.

I saw the 17" in the store the other day and felt the weight in comparison to my current 15" MBP and, while heavier, I think it's still quite manageable and the screen is awesome!

18. The Red Wolf macrumors regular

The Red Wolf

Turbo Boost

The 2.3 Turbo Boosts to 3.2. That's the cost.