$2,500 to spend...

Discussion in 'iMac' started by The "Dude", May 21, 2012.

  1. The "Dude" macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Sep 29, 2011
    #1
    ...and no new iMacs to spend it on. I could buy a current gen, but of course I'd only kick myself later. I've been playing Diablo on my Mac Mini at 1024x768 resolution for crying out loud. I've even considered buying a Windows gaming rig for instant gratification :eek:

    Please, someone talk me off the ledge. Tell me they'll be out soon, and it's worth the wait.
     
  2. David085 macrumors 6502a

    David085

    Joined:
    Nov 9, 2009
    #2
    Buy now you won't regret it.
     
  3. Occamsrazr macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Apr 26, 2012
    #3
    Definitely buy now. Inventory needs to be cleared out before they refresh the line.
     
  4. Stolz25 macrumors member

    Joined:
    May 14, 2012
    #4
    You can always count on helpful people from the interwebs.
     
  5. 24Frames macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Mar 23, 2012
    #5
    You don't say what you would use it for.

    But if your main interest is gaming then you would be better off with a Windows gaming rig with one of the new NVidia or AMD GPUs rather than the mobile GPUs that you find in the iMacs.

    It could be late July before the iMacs get an update...

    Macs are great for many things, gaming isn't one of them.
     
  6. BlazednSleepy macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Apr 15, 2012
    #6
    Just a few more weeks, you'll be fine.

    Get out of the house.
     
  7. David085 macrumors 6502a

    David085

    Joined:
    Nov 9, 2009
    #7
    ya I agree there with you! thax
     
  8. The "Dude" thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Sep 29, 2011
    #8
    It's not just for gaming. I use it for video processing and media management for my htpc. The games I plan to play would do fine on the mobile gpu's in the iMac running boot camp. Just wish they'd release them already.
     
  9. FamiliaPhoto macrumors 6502a

    FamiliaPhoto

    Joined:
    Jul 24, 2009
    Location:
    Chicago, IL
    #9
    I'm in the same boat. Be strong, they will come soon.
     
  10. Matador Red macrumors member

    Joined:
    Apr 28, 2012
    #10
    I'm in the exact same position. Don't worry, when you get down, come here. There is always someone yelling that the refresh is tomorrow because BTO shipping dates slipped a day or some other BS. ;)
     
  11. Logos327 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Sep 15, 2008
    #11
    Not that this is what you should do, but I was in a similar boat.

    I had $2600 saved for the top-end 27" iMac with an SSD and have been waiting since January for a refresh. After really analyzing the cost, what it comes down to is the beautiful screen in the iMac. While it is great, it isn't worth the $1000 it adds to the price tag for me.

    I just received all the parts for an equivalent Windows PC with the following differences:

    + Desktop (more powerful) GPU
    + Overclockable Sandy Bride Core i5 (I plan to run it between 4.4 and 4.8 Ghz)
    - 128GB SSD (but I don't even need a 256GB one since I won't be using Bootcamp)
    - No amazing screen

    With a copy of Windows, the whole thing came out to be $1221. With the extra money, I will be buying a 2012 MBA and have the best of both worlds (Gaming vs. Usability and Preformance vs. Portability)
     
  12. alphaod macrumors Core

    alphaod

    Joined:
    Feb 9, 2008
    Location:
    NYC
  13. David085, May 21, 2012
    Last edited: May 21, 2012

    David085 macrumors 6502a

    David085

    Joined:
    Nov 9, 2009
    #13
    me too so I can get the next yr.'s one...

    Just give me a PM and I will set you up if you want.
     
  14. bongpapst macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    May 13, 2012
    #14
    Im in the same position. If the new imac wont released today or tomorrow i'll buying a 2011 model. after 13 days i will return it and i'll hope the new imac will be released till than! I hate playing D3 on my old notebook!!!!"!
     
  15. New Apple macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Mar 29, 2012
    Location:
    Kristinestad
    #15
    go get a 27 maxed imac

    it's 22.05 and you have 30 days return (more or less)
    that means you have a lot of days after the WWDC, if by then the iMac is not out you can be happy with your purchase

    at the end of it get the extra ram (1333) and/or think of the ssd
     
  16. robo456 macrumors 6502

    robo456

    Joined:
    Mar 3, 2008
    Location:
    New Jersey
    #16
    I was actually thinking of getting a new maxed out iMac 27 when it comes out also, but in reality, I have an already decent machine with a Samsung 27". All my software is PC-based, and my wife isn't interested in learning a new OS. I think an update for my old Macbook might be the better way to go for me as well!

    --rob
     
  17. Nandifix macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    May 10, 2012
    #17
    I would go down the gaming pc route however the mac software is what gets me. I could use hackingtosh but I don't like the idea of not being able to update the software.
     

Share This Page