$2,500 to spend...

The "Dude"

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 29, 2011
...and no new iMacs to spend it on. I could buy a current gen, but of course I'd only kick myself later. I've been playing Diablo on my Mac Mini at 1024x768 resolution for crying out loud. I've even considered buying a Windows gaming rig for instant gratification :eek:

Please, someone talk me off the ledge. Tell me they'll be out soon, and it's worth the wait.

David085

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2009
The "Dude";14897898 said:
...and no new iMacs to spend it on. I could buy a current gen, but of course I'd only kick myself later. I've been playing Diablo on my Mac Mini at 1024x768 resolution for crying out loud. I've even considered buying a Windows gaming rig for instant gratification :eek:

Please, someone talk me off the ledge. Tell me they'll be out soon, and it's worth the wait.
Buy now you won't regret it.

Comment

Occamsrazr

macrumors 6502
Apr 26, 2012
Definitely buy now. Inventory needs to be cleared out before they refresh the line.

Comment

24Frames

macrumors regular
Mar 23, 2012
You don't say what you would use it for.

But if your main interest is gaming then you would be better off with a Windows gaming rig with one of the new NVidia or AMD GPUs rather than the mobile GPUs that you find in the iMacs.

It could be late July before the iMacs get an update...

Macs are great for many things, gaming isn't one of them.

Comment

The "Dude"

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 29, 2011
You don't say what you would use it for.

But if your main interest is gaming then you would be better off with a Windows gaming rig with one of the new NVidia or AMD GPUs rather than the mobile GPUs that you find in the iMacs.

It could be late July before the iMacs get an update...

Macs are great for many things, gaming isn't one of them.
It's not just for gaming. I use it for video processing and media management for my htpc. The games I plan to play would do fine on the mobile gpu's in the iMac running boot camp. Just wish they'd release them already.

Comment

Matador Red

macrumors member
Apr 28, 2012
I'm in the exact same position. Don't worry, when you get down, come here. There is always someone yelling that the refresh is tomorrow because BTO shipping dates slipped a day or some other BS. ;)

Comment

Logos327

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2008
Not that this is what you should do, but I was in a similar boat.

I had $2600 saved for the top-end 27" iMac with an SSD and have been waiting since January for a refresh. After really analyzing the cost, what it comes down to is the beautiful screen in the iMac. While it is great, it isn't worth the $1000 it adds to the price tag for me.

I just received all the parts for an equivalent Windows PC with the following differences:

+ Desktop (more powerful) GPU
+ Overclockable Sandy Bride Core i5 (I plan to run it between 4.4 and 4.8 Ghz)
- 128GB SSD (but I don't even need a 256GB one since I won't be using Bootcamp)
- No amazing screen

With a copy of Windows, the whole thing came out to be $1221. With the extra money, I will be buying a 2012 MBA and have the best of both worlds (Gaming vs. Usability and Preformance vs. Portability)

Comment

David085

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2009
me too so I can get the next yr.'s one...

Just give me a PM and I will set you up if you want.

Last edited:
Comment

bongpapst

macrumors newbie
May 13, 2012
Im in the same position. If the new imac wont released today or tomorrow i'll buying a 2011 model. after 13 days i will return it and i'll hope the new imac will be released till than! I hate playing D3 on my old notebook!!!!"!

Comment

New Apple

macrumors regular
Mar 29, 2012
Kristinestad
go get a 27 maxed imac

it's 22.05 and you have 30 days return (more or less)
that means you have a lot of days after the WWDC, if by then the iMac is not out you can be happy with your purchase

at the end of it get the extra ram (1333) and/or think of the ssd

Comment

robo456

macrumors 6502
Mar 3, 2008
New Jersey
With the extra money, I will be buying a 2012 MBA and have the best of both worlds (Gaming vs. Usability and Preformance vs. Portability)
I was actually thinking of getting a new maxed out iMac 27 when it comes out also, but in reality, I have an already decent machine with a Samsung 27". All my software is PC-based, and my wife isn't interested in learning a new OS. I think an update for my old Macbook might be the better way to go for me as well!

--rob

Comment

Nandifix

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2012
I would go down the gaming pc route however the mac software is what gets me. I could use hackingtosh but I don't like the idea of not being able to update the software.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.