2.52 GHz i5 already running on its last legs!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dreary, May 23, 2010.

1. dreary macrumors regular

I'm getting really frustrated with the less than stellar performance of my MPB. :mad: whenever i'm doing something as simple as running a short youtube video or watching a movie clip in quicktime, my system freezes. the only thing that moves is my mouse, but everything else is nonrespsonsive. what can i do? do i need to contact apple and pressure them to fixing the problem?

2. Wacky Jackson macrumors member

Wacky Jackson

3. dreary thread starter macrumors regular

i don't think so, because if i'm watching a movie in quicktime (not streaming), it freezes as well. besides my whole system becomes unresponsive.

4. johnnymg macrumors 65816

johnnymg

Either some HW device is NG or the OS is goofed. The first step might be to reinstall OSX. That is a simple ~30+ minute task and won't impact your apps or docs. If that doesn't fix the freeze problem .............. time for a trip to the Apple store.

good luck
    JohnG

5. djasterix macrumors 6502a

djasterix

Looks like you got one of the faulty ones, just wait for an update to fix the freeze problems or get it replaced, it's your choice...

BTW can you check if it's booting on 64-bit or 32-bit?

6. DesmoPilot macrumors 65816

Does it eventually un-freeze and everything happen in a sudden rush?

7. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

System freezing is most definitely NOT normal. If you just bought your unit insist on an exchange. Otherwise you'll unfortunately have to have it repaired.

8. dreary thread starter macrumors regular

how do i check if its 32-bit or 64-bit?
    no, it stays frozen. i left it alone for an hour, and it was still frozen. another time i close the lid while it was frozen, and when i opened it the screen was black but the mouse was the only visible thing.

9. runebinder macrumors 6502a

runebinder

Select the Apple icon in the finder bar> About this Mac> More Info> This will open System Profiler. Select the Software option and it'll tell you if you're running the 64-bit Kernel or not.

10. Lyshen macrumors 6502

I'd just suggest taking it back to an Apple store to get it fixed or replaced. No point spending all that time doing it if you aren't very savvy or don't have/want to spend the time doing it.

It shouldn't be frustrating to use it like that.

11. LedCop macrumors regular

LedCop

Funny no one has mentioned yet the 10-page long thread at: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=912218

I respectfully suggest you ignore what everyone has said thus far, and suggest that you turn off automatic graphics switching and see whether you still experience the freezing. If you don't, you have your answer, and the only two useful options you have are to wait for a Mac OS update or to get a refund. A replacement is unlikely to do you any good.

P.S. Ignore everything except this:

This is a symptom of the automatic graphics switching bug.

12. Lyshen macrumors 6502

Interesting how some i5/i7 MBP exhibit that freezing problem when watching Flash based videos while others do not.

I have mine (i7 15" MBP) still set to auto switch and have never had any issues. When watching Youtube and Hulu it stays on the Intel GPU, doesn't switch to the 330M.

13. DesmoPilot macrumors 65816

Not for me; never experienced the auto switching bug. My issue with freezing (system beachballed and basically froze but could still move my mouse around, after 10-30 seconds the system would catch up and everything would happen at once) was due to the crappy stock seagate HD. Swapped it for a hitachi 7K500 and I haven't had a freeze since; there's also a 15+ page thread on the apple support forums with dozens of reports that swapping out the seagate HD fixes the problem.

14. dreary thread starter macrumors regular

i'm not running 64-bit, and right now i reinstalled OSX, so hopefully that solves the problem.

i thought that was the problem as well but i have automatic graphic switching disabled. i disabled it when i first got it. it only freezes whenever i start playing a video in youtube, or watching a movie in quicktime.

15. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

try the apple hardware test thats on the DVD that came with the computer

16. LedCop macrumors regular

LedCop

I could have sworn I read someone having that catching up bug in that auto gfx switching thread... maybe someone else who also thought that catching up bug was due to the switching, posted there and I connected the two. Thanks, now I know it's the Seagate that is responsible. Btw, that stock Seagate, is it the 5400 rpm or 7200 one?

D'oh! My battleship got sunk. :( But that's strange, as both playing a youtube video (with the updated flash) and watching a movie in quicktime kick in the discrete video card for hardware processing of the video if graphics switching was enabled. But since yours is already enabled anyway... :confused:

17. DesmoPilot macrumors 65816

Mine was the 5400; but in the thread at the Apple support forms, people were reporting the same issue with the 7200.

18. dreary thread starter macrumors regular

so i ended up reinstalling OSX, and i haven't had any problems. anyone else still have trouble with freezes?

19. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Usually when people experience these issues, everything on machine freezes but mouse, I tell people that there is a good possibility the drive is dying.

On new machines, don't know, could be a bad batch or a drive firmware issue.

Could try using SMART Utility.app to see if the drive has been experiencing DMA errors or something.

20. xi mezmerize ix macrumors 6502a

xi mezmerize ix

Mine sometimes freezes on youtube, and then a message pops up, i hit ok, and the video plays like normal. its weird.