2.53 GHz vs 2.66 GHz MBP 15in

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by jwylly, Jun 18, 2009.

1. jwylly macrumors newbie

So im buying a new MBP, and im settled on the 15 inch. however, i dont know if i should upgrade from standard 2.53 GHz to mid-tiered 2.66 GHz. Going to college for my freshman year next year, and planning on doing iChat and iWorks programs, maybe throw in some games like sims 3. Is it worth it to pay 250 for the .13 extra GHz? Id like to know if it will increase my computers lifespan, dramatically effect runspeed, and really make a difference in overall performance. Thanx

2. iBadger macrumors member

As far as processor speed you wouldn't notice any difference. The 2.66 comes with the better videocard(9600), but if you're not a big gamer it won't matter. The 2.53 will handle the sims just fine.

3. Shiner macrumors 6502

Just my advice:You will not need the extra .13 Ghz. Furthermore, you will not need the MBP 15" to accomplish any of those tasks. Now if you are set at having a bigger screen (which I like) by all means get the 15". If I could do college all over again I would by the 13" macbook pro ($1,400 one or upgrade the cheaper one) and buy a nice 24 inch screen for my dorm room. When I was at class or in the library I could bring my computer all the time. When back at the dorm room I could have two screens for work.

Now if you are going to game you will need a MBP with dedicated graphics. DO NOT BUY a MBP with integrated graphics for gaming. It is worthless for that.

4. jwylly thread starter macrumors newbie

does the NVIDIA GeForce 9400M graphics board have integrated graphics? ie the 2.53 GHz, are the graphics integrated? i dont know how to tell

5. Nairmb macrumors newbie

Yes, the 9400 is integrated, while the extra 9600 GT is dedicated.

6. jwylly thread starter macrumors newbie

k thanx. im not gonna be spending too much time gaming, at least not on the computer. so the upgrade seems worthless as of now. and after reading some forums that the MBP 15 inch still experience crashing with the dedicated graphics turns me off to that option...thanx for all the responses and if anyone else reads this and has any other input for me that would be mucho appreciated.

7. goinskiing macrumors 6502a

goinskiing

That's for the older NVidia chipset (8600G) so you shouldn't have any problems running a MBP with the 9600G series.

FTR: I have an early 2008 15" MBP for college and I love it.

8. Shiner macrumors 6502

What he said. I want to add we use to have some wicked LAN parties in college. I would probably get dedicated card. Man we were dorks but we still had time for the booze and ladies:)

9. jwylly thread starter macrumors newbie