Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maraca2020

macrumors member
Original poster
May 17, 2009
for the macbook pro. I could get a refurb umbp 2.53 for 1999 or a 2.66 new for 2299. Is the 2.53 a *much* better deal?

maraca2020

macrumors member
Original poster
May 17, 2009
thanks, but besides that is it worth the three hundred dollars off to loose that processing speed?

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
If I were in you're position five months ago with the same models, I would opt for the 2.66 model, as my work clearly profits from more RAM.
I do video editing, conversion, compositing, DVD authoring, photography, ...
and sometimes I need a lot of those programs open at the same time, to interact with all of them.

So if you plan on doing something memory intensive like video, graphics, photography, CAD, 3D, medical databases, research, .... go for the 2.66 model, otherwise the 2.53 will suffice.

maraca2020

macrumors member
Original poster
May 17, 2009
thanks. So the clock speed is negligable, the only thing that really matters is the ram capacity? are there any other differences?

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
You won't see a real world difference in clock speed unless you do some heavy rendering or number crushing (although computing is number crushing all the way) and seconds or mere minutes are highly important.

Other than the maximum RAM, there is no difference.

If you're curious, you can still read some thread I pointed to you earlier.

maraca2020

macrumors member
Original poster
May 17, 2009
thanks for your help. one last question. How long do you think the 2.53 GHz refurb deal will last at 1999? and will it return?

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
The refurb deal will last until the machine is bought and "renewed" at maybe an even lower price when a new refurbished machine comes along.

I heard Monday mornings are a good time to hunt for refurbs.

maraca2020

macrumors member
Original poster
May 17, 2009
thanks for all of your help! So, you don't think I should pounce on this deal? Not so great?

nutritious

macrumors 6502
Mar 1, 2008
If I were in you're position five months ago with the same models, I would opt for the 2.66 model, as my work clearly profits from more RAM.
I do video editing, conversion, compositing, DVD authoring, photography, ...
and sometimes I need a lot of those programs open at the same time, to interact with all of them.

So if you plan on doing something memory intensive like video, graphics, photography, CAD, 3D, medical databases, research, .... go for the 2.66 model, otherwise the 2.53 will suffice.

get a desktop...

maraca2020

macrumors member
Original poster
May 17, 2009
thanks. I like the 2.53. Do you think that it is the best deal i can get? Will more come up? Or should i click buy now?

Unprocessed1

macrumors 65816
Jun 23, 2008
thanks. I like the 2.53. Do you think that it is the best deal i can get? Will more come up? Or should i click buy now?

BuyNowAd.jpg

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
Why should I get a desktop?

I take the MBP with me to my workplace, get the additional work done on that, as the two PowerMacs are to slow for encoding and such (there are a G4 and a G5) and missing software (especially FCS).

And I already have a desktop, an iMac, which I only use when my MBP is fracking up.

So the mobile computer is the best way for me right now, even though I wouldn't mind getting a Mac Pro sometimes, but that piece of hardware is still to expensive for me (with all the additions I would like to have).

And btw, why are your responses of such short nature?

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Get the 2.53GHz MBP; you can install up to 6GB of RAM if you really need it. Otherwise it's pretty much the same. Also for $300, you could almost pay for AppleCare.

maraca2020

macrumors member
Original poster
May 17, 2009
thank you guys i've decided on the 2.53 GHz. All I would like to know is:

Is 1999 a good enough deal that i should buy the refurb immediatly before it goes away?!!?!?!??! Thanks!!!

nutritious

macrumors 6502
Mar 1, 2008
Why should I get a desktop?

I take the MBP with me to my workplace, get the additional work done on that, as the two PowerMacs are to slow for encoding and such (there are a G4 and a G5) and missing software (especially FCS).

And I already have a desktop, an iMac, which I only use when my MBP is fracking up.

So the mobile computer is the best way for me right now, even though I wouldn't mind getting a Mac Pro sometimes, but that piece of hardware is still to expensive for me (with all the additions I would like to have).

And btw, why are your responses of such short nature?

tell your employer to get you a new Mac Pro for work. Tell them those lame powermacs are too slow.

iMac is not a desktop (in terms of hardware at least...) For the price of a Macbook Pro, I'd rather just get a Mac Pro if I was doing heavy video work, but I understand your employer doesn't provide you with a decent computer...

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
tell your employer to get you a new Mac Pro for work. Tell them those lame powermacs are too slow.

iMac is not a desktop (in terms of hardware at least...) For the price of a Macbook Pro, I'd rather just get a Mac Pro if I was doing heavy video work, but I understand your employer doesn't provide you with a decent computer...

If it would be that easy.

I'm "just" the assistant to the editor and someone else (DVD recording and importing YouTube videos into Avid, really, really special ;) ), and the gear is only rented.

The MBP suffices my needs, I get work done with it when I need it, and also with the G5 at least. The G4 takes ages to open a folder/bin, so I'm already planning talking to the boss getting another, better G5 (if nothing better can be afforded) as a replacement for the G4.

maraca2020

macrumors member
Original poster
May 17, 2009
don't mean to sound rude, but can anyone answer the last question i posted? Thanks

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
thank you guys i've decided on the 2.53 GHz. All I would like to know is:

Is 1999 a good enough deal that i should buy the refurb immediatly before it goes away?!!?!?!??! Thanks!!!

It's a good enough deal, but a better might come along some day.

It's technology, it gets cheaper the older it is.

And don't count on any updates before August.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.