2.53GHz MBP or 1.86GHz MBA?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by SnowLeopard2008, Feb 1, 2009.

1. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

In roughly 5 months I'll have the money for either laptop. I currently have a white MB but the logic board is faulty, so that I can only use the laptop are AC power. Good enough for me to last a few months. Question is, should I buy the high end MBA w/ SSD or high end MBP? I'm leaning towards the MBP for the power but not sure if I can pass on the MBA sexiness or portability. Thoughts?

2. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

If you're even considering the Air then there is no way you would need the Macbook Pro's features/power.

3. tMac85 macrumors 65816

tMac85

for real. save your money. you dont need the macbook pro.

maybe compare the macbook vs the macbook air.

4. SnowLeopard2008 thread starter macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Well, half the time, the Air is sufficient. The other half, I edit video, record some music, and program. i think the MBP is the better choice for me. On second thought, the MBA doesn't have the bang for the buck that the MBP has with it's dual graphics (I know it can't be used SLI) or the CPU processing power.

5. Aea macrumors 6502a

Aea

Get the MBP then.

6. aljlin macrumors regular

Sounds like to me the MBP would be good for you for the other half of the time - unless you have another computer to do the video and music. The MBA as much as it's nice to look at the MBP is pretty thin itself and won't sacrifice much size. It'll give you the screen space if you are traveling along with the graphics power and cpu power to do what you want to do. If you're just doing Word processing / Spreadsheets and internet and downloading music then MBA would probably be good... but otherwise - the mbp would give you more bang for the buck.

7. Shoot macrumors regular

8. SnowLeopard2008 thread starter macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

I think I'll get the Pro. The MBA is nice, but the limitations it has is too much for me. I really need the 15" screen and power. The MacBook (not Pro) is just too small for me. I'm growing to hate the small 13" screen but otherwise I would choose that.

9. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

if you hate the tiny screen why were you even considering the MBA?

10. SnowLeopard2008 thread starter macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

I said I'm growing to hate it. I'm only considering the MBA because of the lightweight, thinness, etc. But now on second thought, I would like to have a bigger screen (my optometrist hates my 13") and more power for the same price. Not to mention the more ports, firewire, and glass trackpad.

11. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...go with the MB and get an external monitor...or an iMac...

12. Scottsdale macrumors 601

Scottsdale

My new MBA 1.86 with 128 GB SSD is the coolest Mac I have ever owned. It's very speedy and the display is amazing. It's very capable of being the only Mac for most people. I have an AirPort Extreme Base Station, so printing and file backups are done wirelessly. The only thing it lacks is ports. For me, portability is important but the MBA 2.0 has power too! This is an incredible Mac. Also, with the Nvidia graphics it turns into an instant desktop capable of driving up to a 30" external display.

I think more people should consider the new MBA.

13. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

It looks like you've already sold yourself the MBP.

This may help you a bit if you havn't already seen it:
    http://guides.macrumors.com/Which_Apple_notebook_should_I_buy?

If your main reason, as it seems reading this forum, is wanting a MBP over the MBA for the extra screen space and because you dont like the 13" screen and your looking for a high end machine I hope your considering the 17" MBP.

14. SnowLeopard2008 thread starter macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Goodness no, the 17" is simply too big and expensive. I don't need that much power. The 13" screen is just getting a little small, and I'm growing. The 15" seems just right and already enough power for me.

15. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

The 17 inch has the same power as the 15 inch...