2.53GHz or the 2.8GHz

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by allanibanez, Oct 14, 2008.

1. allanibanez macrumors regular

I've bided my time like the rest of you for the MBP update and now im trying to decide on the configuration of it. I'm going for the higher end 15inch model, but I can't decide whether to go for the 2.53 or 2.8 processor. At the HE store the price difference is £180...a fair chunk of money for a poor student like myself! I had a look for existing topics on this, but found none so I thought I'd start one up.

So basically what sort of performance increase would you get with the better processor and is it worth the price bump? I'm a music tech student and I regularly render audiovisual material so processor performance is key for me, but if its only going to be a tiny bit quicker i'd rather save my money for sweets and toys.

2. alanlindsay macrumors member

The speed advantage is (2.8-2.53)/2.53 = 10.7%. This is a way harder call than 2.5 ->2.6.

You'd be paying 12% extra for an additional 10.7% performance which isn't a bad trade off. I'd probably go with the 2.8

3. iBunny macrumors 65816

4. allanibanez thread starter macrumors regular

Cheers for the percentages. When you look at it like that it is pretty reasonable...unlike the 2.4 / 2.5 war on the old MBP. 2.8 here i come!

5. Cheffy Dave macrumors 68030

Cheffy Dave

Sunny Florida, on the Gulf Coast in Homosassa Fl
    wow! enjoy, and keep us posted as to speed;)