2.53GHz v. 2.66 GHz

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by chaseardoin7, Aug 7, 2009.

1. chaseardoin7 macrumors regular

chaseardoin7

Hey Everyone!

I'm sick and tired of putting up with my slow MacBook Air, so i'm upgrading to a MacBook Pro tomorrow. I'm buying the 15inch Model, but i'm torn between whether I should get 2.53 / 2.66 GHz. Would I be able to tell the difference? Only will use the machine for internet, office work, etc. Nothing hardcore.

Also, what are the benefits of a SSD. Is it that much faster?

Thanks!

Chase

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Search.

Processor Debate here.

If you have to ask about the SSD, it's not worth it. A 7200 will help most users for what they need, unless you are doing heavy rendering work, the advantage to the SSD is boot time.

3. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

No difference really. SSD will be noticeably faster but I'm thinking if you're using it for basic tasks, it would be overkill and expensive. I think you would be fine with the stock 15" MacBook Pro.

4. Jobsian macrumors 6502a

Jobsian

Which MacBook Air did you have, and what speed issues did you encounter yourself if you don't mind my asking. I'm considering one too :)

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

If you're happy with the performance, who cares what every else says or things.

Anyways, back to your question. The main difference between the 2.53 and the 2.66GHz is the latter model has a dual GPU where as the 2.53 has only the integrated GPU.

All things being equal, I doubt you'll see much a difference between the 2.53 and the 2.66

For the record, I have a late 08 MBP and find that I'm on the 9400 integrated GPU most of the time. Its plenty powerful to handle most everything except games.

As for the SSD, at this point, I'd hold off until prices go down and storage goes up. You can find some very inexpensive large capacity drives at newegg.com

6. chaseardoin7 thread starter macrumors regular

chaseardoin7

I bought it right when they came out 1.6 GHz with 2GB RAM. It just doesn't have any power. If you're watching videos online for more than 3 minutes, it gets overheated and starts to lag. I'd recommend it because it's so small and great for travel, but if you want to do anything besides browse online and type documents, it's far too weak.

7. xxBURT0Nxx macrumors 68020

xxBURT0Nxx

the processor would be negligible for what you are going to be doing. An SSD will read/write faster, produce less heat, and doesn't have moving parts so theoretically it should be less prone to shock and shouldn't fail as often as HDD's. However, in your case it likely isn't worth the premium price. You won't really notice any benefits. You would be better off saving and upgrading when prices become lower.

And if all you are really doing is word processing and internet browsing, the Air should be able to handle it. I don't really see any reason you should be having trouble with it, as it was designed for exactly what you are using it for.

edit - just saw you said you had the first mBAir, nevermind.

8. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

2.53 GHz will more than suffice.
    And you won't notice 2.66 GHz unless you render/encode lot and lots of data, and mere seconds are important to you in this regard.

SSDs offer read and write speeds up to 200MB/s, as current platter HDDs "only" offer up to 80-100MB/s.

9. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

For your uses, the 2.53GHz model will more than suffice.

10. Silencio macrumors 68020

Silencio

The second and third generation MacBook Airs are huge, huge improvements over your first generation, 1.6GHz model. No overheating, significantly better performance. If you are otherwise satisfied with the MBA form factor, consider getting one of the newer models.