2,560 over HDMI on new rMBPs?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jdiamond, Nov 7, 2013.

1. jdiamond macrumors 6502

I've been searching posts, and it looks official: On the newest (late 2013) Macbook Pros, Apple added OS-X drivers for 4K resolutions, but NOT 2,560 resolutions. I only saw one post of someone who claimed they tweaked the OS-X driver to obtain this, but no details. Multiple posts confirm that this is out of SwitchResX's hands - they can't bypass the driver.

Does anyone have a proven solution to 2,560 resolutions over HDMI? This is critical for me, so I can enable HDCP and watch movies on my external monitor.

Thanks, great Mac users!
    - Jeff

P. S. PuhLEEZE - no more posts stating the abilities of HDMI 1.3/1.4. We know it *can* do 2,560 - we just need to know how to enable it under OS-X. Thanks.

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

The problem is the refresh rate. Your machine only support 1080p at 60Hz, which is the refresh rate for most all computer monitors. Those higher resolutions you see supported are at lower 30Hz rates and are intended for projectors or televisions, not computer monitors.

3. SimonTheSoundMa macrumors 6502a

Had a look. Plugged it in to my 4K Samsung, and yes it is there. It will only appear if you TV/screen supports it though. No HDCP I'm afraid.

[​IMG]