2.5G data plan w/ 3G phone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Knowlege Bomb, Feb 7, 2009.

1. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

Is this possible? If the 3G speeds and GPS were not worth the extra $10/month could I give AT&T my 1st gen serial number and go back to the original data plan but still use my 3G phone?

2. jason72780 macrumors regular

They'll know through the imei number and switch it for you. Same as if you said you're switching to a non iPhone and cancel the data plan. They can see what phone your using. And you'll still get 3g speed with the old data plan. And gps is free. You just need a data plan for the maps.

3. dave006 macrumors 68020

Yes it is possible, you can also just activate your original iPhone with your iPhone 3G SIM and then you can use the SIM in both phones with the benefit of the $20 iPhone data plan.

Each time either of your iPhones connects to the AT&T Cell network, they send the IMEI number and AT&T is aware what device is active with your SIM. If you are using your iPhone 3G with the original iPhone data plan, expect to receive SMS Txt messages and emails about your use of an invalid iPhone data plan.

Based on the contact you agreed to with AT&T, they have the right to change your plan but there have been no reports of this actually happening.

Dave

4. tnisatard macrumors 6502

what about unlocking the 3g, then signing up for a 2g plan?

my friends dad uses the old 2g i phone and unlocked it on att and didnt want a data plan

5. dave006 macrumors 68020

You can't just sign up for a "2g" plan as you call it, or not directly as you will need to provide the IMEI when you call AT&T to change to the $20 original iPhone data plan. If you provide the IMEI of the "unlocked" iPhone 3G, they will not allow you to add the $20 original iPhone data plan.

What are you really trying to do? Provide us more details an you might get the answer you seek.:D

Dave