2.5GHz Dual Processor G5 Replacement Issue

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by skyblu, Mar 6, 2013.

1. skyblu macrumors newbie

I purchased and replaced a 2.5ghz dual core processor/ cooling system on G5. Here is the series of events that happened, anyone understand what is happening?, at one point it looked like there was hope!....

Replaced processor, pressed power button (light went out straight after), but powered on but did not boot into OS or register with monitor.
    Left it for about a week thinking was no chance of it working.

Just went back to it, held the power button in, it made a loud beep, then rebooted straight into OS, power light stayed on. All worked perfect.
    Went to system info, it showed that it only had one CPU. Fans blowing.
    I have diagnostic CD to calibrate, so booted to CD, ran test, it froze half way through. Restarted system.
    Now is back to way it was before, powers on, power light goes straight off, does not boot to OS or do anything with monitor. Have tried holding button in to get beep again, but does not happen...

2. Lil Chillbil macrumors 65816

Lil Chillbil

Sounds like either a failing logic board or a bad set of processors

3. skyblu thread starter macrumors newbie

Are you sure to jump to quick assumption?
    The seller assured was fully tested working and has 100% positive reputation. It was working for quite a while, and only jumped back to previous state after attempting diagnostic CD, now cannot get back to CD. What was the beep and how is that achieved? To me, as it worked by chance with me holding in the power button, seems there must be someway of getting it back again? What has changed other than restarting to diagnostic CD?...

4. Navare macrumors member

Hi fella

If you see my posts on my 2.3 GHz you'll see I had exactly the same symptoms....it's deffo pointing towards a system board failure mate....it's the cooling down and resting of the system that's allowing it to boot randomly.....

Regards

N.

5. havokalien macrumors 6502a

havokalien

Second that.

Try a blow dryer on ram slots and leave sides off, there is a point where it gets warm that can flex the board to keep contact.

But just in case, maybe your seller had one bad processor, and you have one bad. Try switching them up again.

Also check for dirt where the processor goes, anything in there can cause havoc.