2.5GHz Late 2008 MBP: Do I have the NVIDIA/logic board problem?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by pixeled, Apr 10, 2012.

1. pixeled, Apr 10, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2012

pixeled macrumors newbie

I have a September 2008 15.4" MBP with a NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT graphics card. The logic board died the other day. Apple Store Genius told me the problem wasn't due to the NVIDIA issue because I have a 2.5GHz processor, not a 2.4GHz. Possible that he's wrong?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

MacBook Pro: Distorted video or no video issues

3. pixeled, Apr 10, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2012

pixeled thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the response. I've seen that page, and it's precisely why I'm confused--though my MBP was manufactured in September/October 2008 (month seems to vary based on which serial number info service I'm using), it's referred to as a "MacBook Pro (Early 2008)"--see my pasted serial number results below--which would seem to indicate that it falls within timeframe of the NVIDIA problems. I just don't understand why having the 2.5GHz processor instead of the 2.4 would affect the GPU. Any enlightenment would be much appreciated.

Serial number: ---Removed for security reasons---
    Name: MacBook Pro (Early 2008)
    ModelCode: mbp_early_08
    Model Number: MB134
    Group1: MacBook
    Group2: Pro
    Generation: 41
    Machine Model: MacBookPro4,1
    Model introduced: 2008
    Production year: 2008
    Production week: 40 (October)
    Production number: 14248 (within this week)
    introduced test: GOED
    CPU speed: 2.5GHz
    Family name: A1260
    Screen size: 15 inch
    Screen resolution: 1440x900 pixels
    Colour: Aluminium
    Memory - flavour: DDR2-S-667
    Factory: W8 (Shanghai China)

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Yours is an Early 2008 MBP, so it qualifies, regardless of the processor. It's the non-unibody model. The Late 2008 was the first unibody model.

5. pixeled thread starter macrumors newbie

Got it. Thank you very much. So the Genius at the Apple Store was mistaken when he said my MBP wouldn't have the NVIDIA issue because it has a 2.5GHz processor, correct? I just didn't want to call Apple to ask for a free repair if he was right about that.

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Correct. The Early 2008 MBP 2.5GHz is covered.

7. pixeled thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your patience and your help! I really, really appreciate it.

8. crezza macrumors newbie

Hi mate

How did you prove that your machine ha the faulty nvivida chip in? I've just got back from genius appointment with same problem as you they told me I need new logic board but my 2.5ghz isn't covered with the faulty chips

Thanks

9. gangzoom macrumors member

My Nvidia chip died earlier this year, mine is also a 2.5Ghz Early 2008 MacBookPro. The guys at my local apple store plugged some kind of USB hard drive and with-in about 5 minutes was able to confirm the Nvidia chip was at fault. Took the machine in and did a logic board swap the same day!!!

10. crezza macrumors newbie

They did also run the test on mine but because it wouldn't boot they said it 100% wasn't the nvivda chip and mine wasn't covered under that anyway only for me to find out now that it is!!

There breaking the sales of good act 1979 here in uk and if they do not replace it FOC then I will be seeking compensation to the fullest extent of the available laws

Screw u apple!