2.6, 2.7 or 2.9 GHZ?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MacInTrip, Oct 30, 2016.

1. MacInTrip, Oct 30, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2016

MacInTrip macrumors newbie

Hello ! First post here!
    Is there a notable difference in web browsing, watching movies/ vids, opening applications/ multiple applications that is worth the 2.9 ghz upgrade?

2.6 is $300 less than the 2.9. I dont really do hardcore editing.. but i want my computer to perform fast, and smoothly.

Attached Files:

2. X--X macrumors 6502

I hate when people call it "Mac Pro" :mad:

All of Google is screwed up because of this.

IT IS A MACBOOK PRO

3. Creep89 macrumors 6502

Wow the benchmark result for the 2.7GHz is really, really slow. Slower than my 3 year old 4960HQ. Well let's see whether the slow results can be confirmed.

4. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

I doubt you will be able to tell the difference looking at the screen, in regards to the different speeds. Geek bench scores are not the tell all. And in a lot of cases, I think many people spend money they don't really need to on the extra tenth or two of processor speed, all because of geek bench scores or well-meaning advice from a techie.

Save the $300.00

5. RandomRazer Suspended

is it worht the 200 dolla rupgrade from 2.7 to a 2.9 ?

6. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

If your intended usage is going to be similar to the OP, I don't believe it is worth the extra money.

7. KarmaRocket macrumors member

KarmaRocket

If you're just using the MBP for casual things, ie web browsing, watching videos, etc. Then I don't think the upgrade will be worth it. If you intend doing some heavy lifting ie video editing, music production, graphic design etc, then get the highest upgrade you can afford.

8. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

No. Upgrade is only going to be cost effective is you are constantly crunching data, pic, music or editing videos which tax the processor.

To a layman, a couple secs lost here or there is isn't going to add up to $300+. To a pro those secs add to minutes and hours quickly. Over the lifetime of a machine that represents a significant boost of productivity. The $300 they spend they'll make it back and then some. For the avg. person it's just $300 in the toilet unless they are really OCD about a video encoding in 45 sec vs 1min. Bigger processor isn't going to load your web pages appreciably faster -- maybe a better WiFi system in your house would be a better use for that $ if that is an issue. But even that may not fix it if you live in a densely populated area with a jillion WiFi routers in a small area.

9. Kipchak, Dec 5, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2016

Kipchak macrumors newbie

Kipchak

10. RandomRazer Suspended

wow you made that? did that take you long? very nice.

if one to jump from 2.7 to a 2.9 on the 15" macbook TB, it looks like you can a 10% increase in performance or am i looking at that wrong?

11. WhiteWhaleHolyGrail, Dec 5, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2016

WhiteWhaleHolyGrail macrumors 6502a

WhiteWhaleHolyGrail

12. deliriumxy macrumors member

What can we conclude from this? The base model 15" provides the most value for money over the base nTB 13" when looking at CPU performance?

13. Kipchak macrumors newbie

Kipchak

My takeaway from the comparisons is that:

1) The difference between i5 and i7 is negligible - the only factor that really matters is the # of cores.

2) If you want the best CPU for the least amount of money, the base 15" is the one to pick.

3) When compared to the other BTO upgrade options (eg 100% more RAM, 100-800% larger SSD), the BTO proc upgrades which range from ~2.5%-9% are a poor value.

14. maratus macrumors 6502a

maratus

15. Chuzwuzzin macrumors member

The price difference between the 2.6 and 2.7 15" with everything else equal (same storage and graphics) is only $100. Spreadsheet give the impression it is $200. (This does mean choosing the 460 for both, which brings up the total cost of course).

16. RandomRazer Suspended

is the 2.9 worht the additional 200 dollar over the 2.7?